Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mortality

Apparently Joe suffered another stroke last night. This morning the paralysis includes his entire right side. He is able to talk, but he appears to be more confused. Today his strongest emotion is fear. It is scary when your body starts attacking you. He will probably be spending a long time in a rehab center going through therapy to regain function in the areas that have been affected.

I have talked with my other brother, Bill, several times in the past couple of days. With Joe so sick we realize that we are entering a time of life fraught with all kinds of medical problems. Bill has just finished treatment for cancer and is doing well now. I have knee issues because of arthritis. Our bodies are wearing out. Old age has arrived and we don’t like it. We go along thinking we have some control of our life and then all of a sudden something comes along to remind us that we really have no control.

Each day of life is a gift to be lived and enjoyed. My plan is to be grateful for each of my many blessings and to live each day to the fullest.

What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

Linda said...

Thought you might like my message from the Universe today--I think it's for you:

I am always there. I am always helping. I never leave you.

I was there yesterday, Sue...

Yeah.

And every day before that.

And I'll be there every day that ever follows.

I mean, where else am I going?
The Universe aka God

julie said...

Sue, I am so sorry.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm glad we have that trip planned this summer!

Do you sometimes still feel 12 inside? Sometimes the mirror surprises me.

You & Uncle Joe and the J's are in my thoughts.

Miss Bunny said...

I'm thankful that I don't still live in the park, but I don't show it very often. Why do I bite the people that help me?

I'm sorry about Joe and about your hurting knees. Wish life wasn't so painful. Miss you.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am sorry to hear of the pain in your family. It seems to come in waves.
And AM said it best. I am surprised sometimes when I look in the mirror because I shouldn't look as old as I do. Lately, however I feel every bit as old as I look.
I need to remember your thought every day. Life is a gift and to appreciate the gift.
Thinking of you and your family.