Wednesday, March 28, 2007

God

God is such a little word for such a huge and complex being.

There is a little chant I frequently sing whose lyrics just repeat over and over again, “Hoy One, Holy One living within me.” Just singing it helps me to be still and to hear the spark of God that lives in me. I like slowing down and listening to God.

Another of the songs I love to sing is frequently called 728B, referring to its page number in the hymnal. It starts out with these lyrics, “There is beyond the azure blue, a God concealed from human sight.” It is a well-loved hymn that speaks of God’s greatness and power.

These two concepts of God seem far apart. How can the God who is concealed from human sight live inside of me? I don’t understand, but I believe that somehow both ideas are true. The God I worship is far too big and too powerful to be contained within me. Yet the Almighty knows my name and dwells in my heart. My God is an awesome God.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I didn't know you had heard my song "Holy One O Holy One" before. I thought I was the only one who knew it. I love it too! It puts me in such a beautiful place, with my hands over my heart. Mmmmm