Friday, March 26, 2010

The Help

I stayed up way too late this week reading. I just finished “The Help,” by Kathryn Stockett. It is the story of three women living in Mississippi during the sixties. Two of the women are black maids in white households in a very racist world. These women tend to all the domestic chores and raise the babies for the white families that employ them. The book talks of the affection, love, abuse, shame and fear that are part of the complicated relationships in an unequal world. The third woman is a young white college graduate who is also trapped in this racist, sexist world. Their lives become intertwined as they work together on a project to share the stories of these black women. I cried, I laughed, I cheered and felt hot anger in this poignant story. If you enjoy feeling part of the story of humanities small triumphs over evil, read this book. It will leave you thinking about it's message for many days.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

Thanks, I have wondered about that book a few times. sounds good!

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, sounds very interesting! :)

Tracy said...

I was up way to late as well reading the same book. :-) I couldn't get to sleep and decided to read. So far it's pretty good.

Sharon said...

I'm in line to read that book from the library. I just checked and I'm #6. I was #114 when I started. A friend recommended the book. She said she stayed up too late reading it as well.

Middle Child said...

Sounds like a good book - I haven't heard of it down here.

Random Thinker said...

Added it to my list.

Unknown said...

Just ordered it on my Kindle, will be reading it later today. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jordan said...

I read that book a few months ago. I still find myself thinking about it every once in a while. That's how I judge a good book, if I'm still thinking about it long after I finish it.