Thursday, April 01, 2010

Census

I just mailed in our census form. This is the seventh time I have been officially counted. I was born in 1941, so I was first counted in 1950 at the age of almost nine. I was the youngest of three children in our household of five people. In 1960 I was living away from home at nursing school. According to the rules I should have been counted as part of the school's count. I wonder if my parents included me in their household count that year? I'll never know. I was busy during the sixties and by the census of 1970 I was the mother of four children and lived in a household of six people. In 1980 everyone was still at home and again we were a household of six. There were a lot of changes during the eighties. Children grew up, went to college, got married and began to have children of their own. My nest felt empty and we became the foster parents of a teen-aged boy. For the census of 1990 we were a household of three. In 2000 we were a household of two very busy working adults. The form I mailed today says two old white people live here.

I wonder what my granddaughter fills in as her race. Her father, my son, is white. Her mother's racial heritage is black, white, American Indian and a little Chinese.

How many times have you been counted in an official U.S. Census?
How many people dwell in your house?

6 comments:

Random Thinker said...

I did some genealogical research on my family and there was nothing more thrilling than seeing family census data from 100 years ago. I would have first been counted in 1970 at the age of 8. This year we are a household of 3 with a mostly absent son. Gosh I hope I have a few grandkids to count in 2020.

Sling said...

I was first counted in 1960,at the tender age 7.
Married twice over the years,with children by each wife,I'm not sure how many of us there were in later census'.
Right now,there's only me,and my alter-ego 'Volcano Man!'..

Jennie said...

5 here. Sling made me laugh.

yellowdoggranny said...

if they let me count dexter it will be 2..i was born in 43..so some one counted me for a while..
thanks for stopping by and saying howdy..

Middle Child said...

Haven't a clue when ours was...as a kid - but only about 2 that i recall in my adult years...I am a real bastard and give as little and as twisted information as I can -its unAustralian to trust Government with anything. guess in your family you could claim the proud heritage of Black, White and Brindle

AM Kingsfield said...

I think you can check more than one box on the race section. I wish there was something more interesting for me than white. Can't I be European-American?

I heard of a family who fears government intrusion who sent in a form full of Harry Potter characters. Now they cost the government more because they have to send a person to their door.