Monday, April 19, 2010

Just Like Your Mom

“You look just like your mom.” “You have your mother's laugh.”The words wrapped around me like a warm embrace that welcomed me home.

We moved across the country from my childhood home when I was a young woman. We raised a family and built a happy life far from my mother and father. I am known by my role as wife, mother, grandmother, co-worker, and friend. I often hear people say that my daughter and granddaughters look just like me. Very few people think of me as the daughter of Byrtle, the most wonderful woman God ever created.

One of those few people who see me as my mother's daughter is my ninety-year-old Aunt Wilma, the last of my mother's generation of relatives. She lives in San Antonio and we were able to visit with her after our grandson's graduation from basic training. Our visit was a delightful trip down memory lane with many stories about my mom and dad. She had pulled out old pictures and told stories about times long gone. She said that I was just like my mom. Sweet memories surrounded me.

It felt good to have someone know that I am Byrtle's girl.


My family, Mom & Dad, my brothers and me
San Antonio, Texas, 1951

12 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

What a fantastic picture! Everyone looks so serious - except Grandma Byrtle. She looks like she knows a funny secret.

Random Thinker said...

That's so cool. I bet your aunt was so pleased to have such a real reminder of your mother. I hear that all the time. I don't feel like I look or act like my mother but plenty of other people do.

Barb said...

I just love old black and white pictures of long ago. 1951 was a good year too. That's when I was born!

Jennie said...

What a great picture, you're so cute! Looks like a fine family.

Anne said...

wow, lexie looks a lot like you!

Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, that is so nice! :) Everyone should have a Mom that they look up to like you do. :)

(People always say I look like my Mom--my husband just says I act with her--this annoys me at times. *grin*)

Unknown said...

What a great photo! It is a blessing indeed to have a family.

Tracy said...

I think all of your kids look like you.

Incredible photo!

Tracy

Sling said...

My mom used to say,'You look just like your dad when you do that..Makes me wanna hit you with a frying pan!'..
You sure were a little cutie-pie!

Middle Child said...

Thats wonderful and what a big handbag - a woman just like my own mum who always had a big bag,,, so pleased for you. I too flush with pleasure when someone says I look like my mum...we were lucky to both have good mothers

FoxyMoron said...

What a lovely post!

Br. Jonathan said...

Awww! We have the same home town.