Monday, March 01, 2010

A Good Weekend


It's March! In my part of the world March is coming in like a lamb, with sunshine and melting snow. I guess it will roar out like a lion in a few weeks.

Our snowy February ended with a most pleasant weekend.

Friday I made a big pot of chili and entered it into a chili cook-off. I was competing against such dishes as Road-Kill Chili, John's Triple Hot Chili and ten other varieties. My “Just Chili” won first place! I am so proud.

We got up Saturday morning and went to our new exercise class. About forty mostly older adults sweated and laughed our way through two hours of working out in a class called Get Off Your A**. After working so hard we obviously needed to go out for lunch. Any excuse for eating out is good enough for me.

The highlight of the weekend came in the mail on Saturday. The letter from our grandson the new airman was the first we had heard since he arrived for basic training in Texas. He sounded good and we felt relieved. It seems the Air Force is very particular about how a bed is made and our boy made his bed fifteen times one day. All in all, even though it is the hardest thing he has ever done, he sounded upbeat and positive. It was good to know he really is doing OK.

Sunday morning I played in the bell choir at church. The bells, when done right, fill the church with such a glorious noise. Even when not done right they make me happy. I think God smiles when we praise Him with music.

We watched the hockey game Sunday afternoon. Even though Team USA lost the game, it was a well-played, exciting game. I couldn't help but rejoice with the happy Canadians. I will miss the Olympics. It has been fun to watch those amazing athletes.

A friend of ours is an amazingly talented pianist. Sunday evening she invited us to attend a dress rehearsal for concert she is is doing next weekend at Carnegie Hall. She is accompanying a Mongolian opera singer. The vocalist had a beautiful voice. She sang the most beautiful Mongolian arias I have ever heard. At the end of the concert I felt like I had just been to Carnegie Hall, except it was free and five minutes from home.

What did you do this weekend?

11 comments:

just me said...

this was one of our crazier weekends - and most of ours are fairly crazy :)

Sat night we celebrated the Jewish holiday of Purim - which involves reading the scroll of Esther, dressing in costumes, and being generally silly. After changing we went to see the Crayfish and stayed out way too late.

Sun the celebration continued with a carnival for the kids. In the afternoon we were at the "Heart 2 Heart 4 Haiti" benefit at the performing arts center. Sorry you were busy - we got to hear lots of great music of many different types. Including (once again) the Crayfish.

After that we went to dinner with some friends who had come down from NJ just for the concert... whew!

I went to work today so I could have some peace and quiet :)

AM Kingsfield said...

Sorry I missed the Haiti concert. And I have never heard a Mongolian Aria in my life.

I was in a convention hall in Ocean City watching some very talented dancers, my daughter among them, on super-sized speakers that must've been turned up to eleven.

Unknown said...

Now that's full weekend, all of you! Mine wasn't nearly as busy and quite boring but restful in comparison.

Jennie said...

Do we get the recipe for your prize-winning chili?! My mom and her bells (she's the director) played in church Sunday too. And you're right about what you said there. ;) She had someone show up after missing a few weeks, without his gloves and music - which he can't read anyway. lol It struck fear into her heart, but they all did well.

Maureen said...

Tom started driving again this weekend. He has not driven since Aug.
He went out to practice in an empty lot with Tim and was so comfortable he drove home. He dropped Tim off and said I'm going to the barber shop, came home and said lets go we are going out to lunch. We went to Towson and Baltimore looking for a place he saw on the Food Network, found it good food. Life will probably never be normal (it never was) but its getting better.
Looking forward to next weekend, see you Friday.

Sharon said...

Did a lot of baking for a bake sale at church to benefit Haiti. Then our church small group met at our house on Sunday evening. Congrats on the big chili win.

Random Thinker said...

Pretty boring weekend, nothing that compares to winning a chili cookoff. I should send my son off to the air force, he desperately needs bed making lessons. He is home for the week from school and his room shows it.

Linda said...

Congrats on the Chili Cookoff! The exercise class sounds like a ton of fun, might have to come by and check it out. Sounds like the church was hopping this weekend!

I was in beautiful Florida and the sunshiny Keys this past weekend... it was quite pleasant there too. Although, instead of hopping, we were mostly lounging :)

Barb said...

Congratulations on the Chili Cookoff!!

I did absolutely NOTHING this last weekend. Never even left the house. Now that's BORING!!!

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, it sounds like last weekend was wonderful for you!--I'm glad to hear it, and I hope that this weekend is going just as well for you. :)

P.S. Congrats on your prize-winning chili! :)

Middle Child said...

For us...we are drifting into Autumn -my very favourite time of the year...last weekend I heard and saw the results of a king size hail storm...said good bye to my lovely Alison and flew back to my home...which was patiently waiting for me...a chilli cook off...and you won - mygoodness