Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thanksgiving

One week from today is Thanksgiving Day. I am way too blessed to be able to write about all the things for which I am grateful on one day, so I will start my thanksgiving list today.

I am thankful for my house. It is cold and rainy today, but I am warm and dry inside this house. The warmth is more than the fact that the roof isn’t leaking and the new windows provide good insulation, the warmth is the glow of memories that fill every room and every corner.

We moved here in 1964. Since then this old house has rung with laughter and has been filled with tears. We raised four children here. The office in which I now sit was our girls’ room. Over the years it has been painted yellow, pink, purple and green. The walls have been covered with crayons and markers, then posters of teen idols. Later it was home to our foster son and housed his weight bench and his karate belts and hid his Playboy magazines and chewing tobacco. Our clean, quiet guest room was the boys’ room. It was crowded with bunk beds, books, toys and various sports equipment. The kids grew up and grandchildren came to play. This little house felt like it would burst when we all got together.

The memories are everywhere I look. I love this house.

7 comments:

Maureen said...

One of my favorite songs is called "Little Houses" it say something like, Love grows best in little houses,with few walls to seperate, where you eat and sleep so close together you can't help but commicate. If there were more room between us think of all we'd miss, Love grows best in house just like this. I think this describes your house and mine.

Mom said...

Maureen, I never heard the song, but I do love the words. Who sings it? Where can I hear it? I agree. It fits your house and mine.

rosemary said...

Our house was started in 1989 and added on to in 2000. The family home in California was sold in 98 when we moved here full time. This house holds few memories sadly.....and few sounds of children laughing

Mom said...

Rosemary, One of the wonderful things about memories is that they are portable. You can pack up all the ones you want to keep and unload them in that wonderful, clean house of yours.

Linda said...

Every year we talk about moving and every year it's the same thing. "Right there is where Cory took his first steps, and that's the tree that Rhia used to hang upside down on" How do you pack a tree? Or a house? Beautiful Post.

Maureen said...

Little houses is sung by a country singer Doug Stone, that's about all I know. I have it on my Ipod so that means I downloaded it from Itunes. Its probably is about 20 years old. I started stitching it in a pillow years ago when I did crossstiching and never finished it, I still have it.

John said...

Never been in the same house more than 3 years. 45 years old and 26 different houses. Buy Uhaul stock.