Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving #4

Today is a big cooking day. I got up early to bake a cake and make red jello. Red jello is made with strawberries, bananas and pineapple and is a tradition at any family dinner in our house. My daughter is busy making pies and getting the table set for a big dinner tomorrow. My other daughter is entertaining her in-laws so we will not have her cheese ball or mango salsa.

I am thankful for food to eat. Tomorrow will be a feast with more food than we can possibly consume. I am thankful for that bounty, but mostly I am thankful for my daily bread. I have never really been hungry. I have always had enough food to feed my children. This is not true for everyone. We see the news with those poignant pictures of hungry children. I have helped in our local food pantry and know that there are people in my own neighborhood who are hungry. Food to eat is not a something everyone can take for granted.

Have you ever been hungry?

How can we help to feed those who are hungry?

4 comments:

rosemary said...

After we spent way too much money on food for 2 people this year, I am thinking next year we will volunteer at the men's Gospel Mission shelter.

Sling said...

I'm thankful that I have never been burdoned beyond my capacity to bear.
Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

John said...

Like you, my life has never been a search for food. I cannot fathom living like that. I wonder if the way our society is set up if we can really change it all. The every man for himself attitude doesn't go well with helping others. Do I sound bitter? Sorry. Have a happy Thanksgiving and say hi to your family for me.

AM Kingsfield said...

I think there is a lot to be said about making sure your kids are well-tended and fed. But that's not a fair comparison because you and I began our lives in security.
I feel hopeless sometimes about the hunger in the world. There are so many factors. So I think you do your best to share what you have. Perhaps live a little smaller so you can share.