Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Changing Directions

Changing directions is hard.

I thought about this in my deep-water aerobics class. We all paddle along in a circle. As we move together we create a small current that helps us go faster. Then the teacher says we need to change directions. Suddenly the small current is going against us and forward movement is harder. It takes several strokes of trying not to go backward to get the forward momentum going again. This observation started me thinking about the times in my life when I needed to change directions.

Friday my beloved took the day off work and we were going to run away for a short holiday. Our bags were packed and we were in a holiday mood as we started to back out of the driveway. Then came a phone call from AM. The doctor had just called saying that blood test on her ten year had just come back. The sugar was extremely high and it looked like she was diabetic. If the repeat test was still high she would have to go to the hospital that evening. The holiday mood went away and we had to change the direction of how we felt and what we would do. After a day of apprehensive waiting the test came back completely normal. No hospital. She would be checked again next week, but all was well now. Our mood changed directions again. We were grateful. As we started to breathe again we found it impossible to regain the holiday mood and had to again change the directions of how we felt and what we would do.

When have you suddenly had to change directions in your life? Was it a permanent change or just a temporary turn around?

6 comments:

rosemary said...

many directional changes throughout my life, most of them permanent. I don't do change well, so needless to say, my stress level is high.

rosemary said...

Sorry....hopefully the next blood sugar is normal.

MarkEC said...

I guess that is where the expression "go with the flow" came from? I was feeling that shift on Friday also. Most of my changes have been fairly permanent and I have had quite a few, moving to new locations, divorce. But I have always found pleasant surprises and wonderful people along these new paths. Thanks for being one of them!

Cazzie!!! said...

Nothing is truly stable in life, there are some directon changes always, but, they are fluid-like changes for me. Weaving in and out of situations, I call them life situations, never realy having problems, just changes to what is.
Blood sugars, oh dear, they can be whatever level they like, they change when stress is in someones life, they change when someone is ill, there is no real way to know where they will end up that is for certain.

Tracy said...

Being a military family we do this every 2-4 years. We head a different direction. The biggest one so far for us was preparing to move to the Middle East, selling the house and getting ready. Then to find out that we were going to Ohio instead. (Middle East.. Ohio... almost the same thing, right?)

I liked your analogy of your experience in the water about changing directions and fighting the current to pick up momentum. I always find that looking back it's much easier and less painful if I would just "be still and know..." and wait for the current to stop instead of pushing against it. Once it's stopped, it's easier to pick up and start the other way.

Too bad I don't always do this when I'm IN the current. :-)

Sling said...

Several times in my life,I've had to pack everything I could fit into a backpack,and leave everthing else behind..It gets really easy,even fun after a while.