Monday, November 26, 2007

Tattoo

Tattoos are unusual in the women of my generation, so I have been intrigued by the tattoo on the arm of a seventy-six year old lady who is one of my water-aerobics classmates. Today I asked her when she got the tattoo and why. She smiled and said it was a long story. This is her story.

Five years ago her daughter was diagnosed with cancer. The news was devastating to the entire family. Her daughter would have to undergo a regime of very difficult treatments to fight the disease. She was afraid. My classmate, her sick daughter, her other daughter and her two granddaughters decided to do something that would show the world that this family was in this fight together. They would stand united and wage war against the cancer. The symbol they chose was a beautiful little hummingbird, which they each had tattooed on their arm. It was a powerful moment for the family that made them all fell a little braver.

Her daughter died two years ago. The tattoo is a symbol of love, family, and her very brave daughter.

6 comments:

rosemary said...

that is absolutely one of the lovliest stories and perhaps the only good reason i have ever heard for getting a tattoo.

rosemary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan said...

I'm not one for tattoos but, in this case, I can't think of anything more beautiful than a permanent symbol of the strength and courage of this woman's daughter. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very moving. That is a reason I can get behind.

Hope you are well. I am sorry I have missed your wonderful posts these past dew days.

AM Kingsfield said...

Way to go Granny!

John said...

Way cool