Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving #2

Among my greatest treasures are many books. I love books. They take me to other worlds and show me new ideas that make me think thoughts that I might have missed. Books contain stories that make me laugh out loud, cause to sob, enrage me and fill me with anger, or comfort me like my mother’s lap used to do.

As a child I read all of the Nancy Drew books and all of the Oz books. I loved The Secret Garden. As I became a teenager I started reading biographies and sweeping historical novels. Stories about real people intrigued me. One of the books I loved was called. “David the King,” by Gladys Schmitt. It was a novel about Israel’s King David. I absolutely fell in love with David. It was because of this book that I named my first-born son David. Today I am reading, “World Without End,” by Ken Follett. It is a sequel to Pillars of the Earth.

I am thankful that I am able to read and I am thankful for the many books that have entertained me and educated me over the years.

Here is a very incomplete list of some of my all-time favorite books.

1. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum and all the other books in the Oz series. These books were magical

2. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This was such a sweet story of childhood and triumph.

3. Lust for Life by Irving Stone. This was a great story about the troubled life of Vincent Van Gogh.

4. Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. One of the sweetest love stories I’ve ever read.

5. Traveling Mercies by Ann Lamott. This book helped me understand what faith is all about.

6. The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg. This book has been valuable on my journey of faith.

7. The entire Mitford series of books by Jan Karon. These books are a sweet escape into the life and faith of a small town in North Carolina.

8. The DiVinci Code by Dan Brown. A great thriller. I stayed up all night to finish it.

9. The entire Stephanie Plum mystery series by Janet Evanovich. Just lots of fun.

10. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. What a poignant and moving story this is.

What books are on your all time favorite list?

7 comments:

John said...

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty
The Stand by Stephen King
The Hunt For Red October and Executive Orders, both by Tom Clancy
The Testament by John Grisham and my new favorite that I am still working on getting through is the Message translation of the Bible. It's cool to read the Psalms especially in a new vernacular.

Sling said...

I enjoy the Bible..King James version.
The Word by Irving Wallace
Pet Semetary by Stephen King
..and any kind of "Everything you want to know about___" type books.

Tracy said...

The Kite Runner
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Janet Evanovich Series
The Mark of the Lion Trilogy
What You Know First (children's book)
Where the Red Fern Grows

I am reading aloud Johnny Tremain to the kids and we are enjoying that one a lot but we haven't finished it yet.

Unknown said...

Some of my all time favorite books are by Jodi Picoult like My Sister's Keeper, Plain Truth, and Mercy.

She takes a controversial topic and then tells the story from multiple character view points with typically a twist at the end.

Paul Nichols said...

Cold Sassy Tree is a discovery that My First Wife and I made together: the movie version. We still enjoy it from time to time.
Other great books I read before I ever heard of the movie are
Hunt for Red October
Fried Green Tomatoes
Cool Hand Luke
The Godfather
In Cold Blood
Little Women
Far From the Madding Crowd

Good post. Happy Thanksgiving.

Joan said...

Hmmm...there are so many to choose from. Here's my sampling:
Janet Evanovich's series
Jane Austen & the Bronte sisters books
Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series
"To Kill a Mockingbird"
Brave New World

I could go on and on.

Mom said...

I think you can learn about people from the books they read. Thanks for sharing you favorite books. Many of our lists overlap. That must mean something.