Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Geyserland




The symbol of Yellowstone is Old Faithful, the geyser that goes off faithfully every ninety-two minutes, give of take fifteen minutes. Old Faithful is located next to three hotels and is surrounded by bleachers. As soon as one eruption has finished a prediction is posted for when it is expected to blow again. About fifteen minutes before the predicted time the bleachers fill with people waiting to watch it go. People filling the bleachers are just as predictable as the geyser’s eruption. When it erupts a great gush of water shoots about a hundred feet into the air for about two minutes. As soon as it quiets down the bleachers empty again. We watched old Faithful several times from different vantage points. It is an awesome sight, but actually it is not as awesome as some of the other geysers. It is just more predictable. We were lucky enough to be there when Castle Geyser erupted. Castle erupts every thirteen to eighteen hours, give or take four hours. When it blows water shoots into the air for about thirty minutes, followed by steam that pours out with the noise of a jet engine for another thirty minutes. Water cascades down its sides like a waterfall and rainbows glisten in its mist. I loved Castle Geyser. The fact is there are thousands of thermal features all over Yellowstone. There are colorful pools of boiling water, bubbling pots of mud, steam vents and geysers scattered everywhere. Looking down the Firehole River Valley you see geysers steaming everywhere. They are evidence of the fact that the entire park is sitting atop and old volcano that is still working not far below the surface causing geysers to erupt and release the pressure built up below. The old enormous volcano erupts every six hundred thousand years or so. It has been six hundred-fifty thousand years since its last eruption.

The pictures are of Old Faithful, Castle Geyser and the view looking down the Firehole River Valley.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Very cool photos. Your vacation sounds marvelous and makes me only want to visit Yellowstone even more. It's on my list of places to see someday but I think I'll move it up on the list.

julie said...

Thanks for showing me some of Yellowstone that I didn't see. I bet if we put our pictures together we would have an amazingly complete picture of Yellowstone. Can't wait to see more.

AM Kingsfield said...

It is so easy to forget in our air conditioned, wood laminate houses that we are living on a piece of geologically active stardust.

Tracy said...

Air conditioned? Some of us have air conditioners.. Others have 50 year old ineffecient swamp coolers... but I digress, sorry.

The photos are gorgeous. I'm absolutely going to add that to my must see list while we're on this side of the country. Thanks for sharing the photos. I can't wait to go!

Anne said...

When I was 14 or 15 or so I flew (by myself) to Wyoming to Girl Scout Camp at Nation Center West for two weeks. I arrived early for a side excursion to Yellowstone. We stayed at one of the lodges close to Old Faithful, so we got to see it erupt several times. If it had a short spray, it lasted longer, if the spray was tall, the eruption didn't last as long. I thought it was about 75 minutes between shows, but that was 30 years ago. I also remember seeing a black bear or two, lots of bubbling mud and glorious waterfalls. I should take my family there.

Your pictures are beautiful!