Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pride

Our son is changing jobs. Yesterday his former employer invited us to a luncheon to honor this man who is our son. I know he is a wonderful man, but yesterday we saw a part of his life that we normally do not see. I sat and listened as person after person praised him for the work he has done. The love and respect these people feel for him was obvious. I still don’t know quite what he does. His expertise is in the area of chemical and biological weapons. He works with the military and the Department of Defense. The stories told yesterday were full of acronyms and words that are not part of my vocabulary. Much of what was said was a bit of a mystery, but I did understand the important part. Our son is a hard-working, responsible and intelligent man. He is an honorable human being with a quirky sense of humor. He is a great asset to his company. He will be greatly missed.

I am still glowing with pride. There is no finer gift to a mother than to hear other people praise her child. I feel blessed.

2 comments:

rosemary said...

Your last 2 sentences say it all. No greater gift.

John said...

I hope that my mother feels about me the way you obviously feel about your son. That would be a great gift as well. At 44 I still worry about making my mother proud.