Saturday, June 09, 2007

23+23=46


A few days before our twenty-third wedding anniversary our first-born daughter married her sweetheart. The wedding was beautiful. They were young and in love. Today they are celebrating their anniversary in Manhattan with their son, the new high school graduate, and their daughter the college senior. They have navigated a lot of life together and are still happy that they married each other. They are still young and in love.

It is twenty-three years later now. That means we are about to celebrate our forty-sixth anniversary. We celebrated by sitting on our front porch, rocking, and counting our blessings. We are still happy that we married each other. We are not so young and still in love. Life is good.

6 comments:

rosemary said...

The test of a true love.....is time. 46 years.....you must be a patient woman and he must be a wonderful man. Steve and I will celebrate 22 years later this year. The longest either of us has been married....and that is for a total of 7 marriages, 7 children and 11 grandchildren between the two of us.

Shammickite said...

Wow just look at the crinoline dress.... fabulous!

Paul Nichols said...

Hi. Rosemary suggested I visit you. I have just posted a blog about marital longevity. And Rosemary's right: she told me you had a terrific blog, and you do! Hope to see you there sometime.

Mom said...

Rosemary, I think I might need a chart if I have to figure out your past. Sounds like Steve is finally a good match for you. Do you buy Christmas gifts for all those kids and grandkids?
Es-S, the bride's dress was the same dress I wore in my wedding. It is now in storage, just in case the granddaughter wants to wear it some day.
Paul, thanks for your kind words. marriage can be life's greatest gift.

AM Kingsfield said...

Happy Anniversary to two of the greatest reasons I still have any faith left at all in the institution of marriage. What fabulous examples of love!

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary!

Before I enlarged your photo, I wondered why your daughter was in the pink dress. Wow, you two look a lot a like her now and you then: Just fabulous!