Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Music

I do not own an IPod. I do not have a play list. When I listen to my kids and grandkids talk about music I frequently feel old and completely out of touch. I think I’m a 331/3 in an IPod world. When I said that to my 17-year-old grandson he stared at me blankly and said, “I don’t get it.” So, in case, like my grandson, you don’t get it, 331/3 refers to the revolutions a long playing record made per minute. It was a great improvement over the 78s and the 45s. A 331/3 could play ten or fifteen minutes before it need to be turned over to play the other side. I owned many LP (long play) record albums and enjoyed listening to them. I listened to lots of classical music; I liked Beethoven, Mozart, and Debussy. I loved Pat Boone, (had a big crush on him) and listened to all his albums. My favorites were Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. I knew all of the words to all of Oklahoma and Carousel. When those were made into movies I saw them over and over. In a time before videos and DVDs this meant I took the bus to the movie theater as many times as my mom would allow. I spent my 25cent admission to see each of them ten or more times.

My play list was the songs running through my head at any given moment. Since I was a church kid, most often the songs were the old hymns I heard so often, but other times it was the music from all the shows I loved to watch. The cowboy songs that Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey sang were frequently on my play list. My dad liked to sing those songs to me. Those songs always made me smile.

Right now the house is quiet, but in my head my play list is playing.

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,
There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,
The corn is as high as an elephant's eye,
An' it looks like its climbin' clear up to the sky.

Chorus:
Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day,
I've got a wonderful feeling,
Everything's going my way.

3 comments:

John said...

That is so cool! I appreciate your words. They meant a lot to me.

rosemary said...

We both know we are cut from similar cloth...but I have an iPod. If you can blog you can program a Pod. My kids got it for me for my birthday last year. I love it. The only problem with an actual iPod is you can only get music...all kinds...from iTunes. With a MP3 you can download everything just about. I have put a lot of my cd's in it and dowloaded too. I read your story. It was touching and guess what my mom's name is? Mary. I added an update to my blog this am. There were other pics of this man...a lot in fact. And one in a separate envelope but in the larger one with the rest of the pics...it was of my mom and this man.

Paul Nichols said...

Okay, now you've got me singing in my head, "Oh, what a beautiful morning..."

It's raining gently here in Pancake Flats right now, so maybe I oughta sing, "Singin' in the Rain."