Monday, June 04, 2007

Most I my life I was part of a Christian fellowship that taught that it was sinful for women to participate in any way in the public worship of the church. I believed that women were to be silent. Women were allowed to make casseroles, tend babies in the nursery, teach young children and teach other women. Men ran the church, made all the decisions and did everything that was seen as public. After years of studying and praying many others and I concluded that our understanding was not what the scriptures taught. We were, in fact, wrong. For a long time we tried to persuade the church where we worshiped to change this practice. We asked questions, we pointed to scriptures, we prayed. It was a painful and, in the end, an unsuccessful attempt. Change is difficult. Three years ago we left the church that had been my home for 63 years. Leaving was painful, but staying was no longer possible. We walked out and prayed that God would lead us to a place where we could find peace and once again worship joyfully. God is good and we are now part of a church where all people are one in Christ and all people’s gifts are seen as worthwhile.

Yesterday I sat in church and listened as one of my daughters preached a wonderful sermon. The congregation sat in rapt attention, appreciative of what she had to say. Another daughter serves the church as an elder. My husband and son-law often teach, but now my daughters as well as my sons are able to share their gifts. It is a wonderful thing. I am grateful to have found a church where God is glorified so powerfully by all of God’s children.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Our church is so blessed to have you and your family. I was sitting there on Sunday thinking this very same thing....I love each and every one of you. I'm sorry you went through so much but I believe God brought you to us at exactly the right time when we needed your family to help be a conduit of change for CCPC. Thank you.

AM Kingsfield said...

I couldn't have done it without you.