Monday, July 24, 2006

Joy

The theme of this year’s Women of Faith was Contagious Joy. The idea is that our joy is infectious and spreads from one person to another. We all experience moments of great joy, where we just burst with happiness and wonder. Those are wonderful moments, but, lets face it, most of life is less than those moments on the mountaintop. We live in a busy world of routines and fatigue. Life can be humdrum and a bit disappointing. How do you find joy in the midst of your daily life? Luci Swindol says joy is like little, iridescent bubbles that pop into our day. They are beautiful and fragile. We have to seize those moments and store them in our hearts to remember and enjoy as we walk through our days.

Here is a list of the bubbles of joy that filled my heart over the past couple of days.

1. Eating an ice-cream cone while watching storm clouds in the distance –a simple pleasure shared with the man I love.

2. Watching my granddaughter sing in the choir.

3. A hug from a good friend.

4. Pulling weeds from my garden in the cool of the evening.

5. Sharing pizza and laughter with my family.

6. A friendly greeting from my fellow art students after missing several classes. “Hi Suzy. We’re glad you’re back. We missed you.”

7. A phone call from Dot. Her mother is stable for the moment.

8. Riding my bike around my neighborhood and feeling the wind in my hair. I feel like I’m a kid again.

9. Finding a picture that I had lost. Rejoice. That which is lost has been found.

10. The constant assurance that God loves me.

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

What? No helmet?
Sometimes too much caution is a joy-killer.
Thanks for the reminder. I will watch for joy bubbles today.

julie said...

Wish you could've ridden over to my house to sit on the porch and talk.