Saturday, July 22, 2006

Friends

The Women of Faith conference was great. I’ll have to sort out some of the moments and tell you about them over the next few days. The experience was intense.

My friend Dot checked her cell phone at the first break. There were three calls from her sister so Dot went to find a quiet spot to return her sister’s calls. When Dot returned to her seat one look at her face told me she had bad news. Her mother had had a massive stroke and was non responsive. The doctor said there was no hope for recovery. It would be only one day, maybe two before her time on earth was done. My friend just sat there, too stunned to move. All I could do was to hold her. We worked out a few plans on how to get her home so she could drive to Pennsylvania and be with her mom. We held each other a long time. I returned to my seat but couldn’t stay there. My heart was breaking with my friend’s pain. I went out to find a quiet place to just sit for a while, praying for my friend and feeling anew the great loss of my mother’s death. After some time passed I looked up to see another friend coming toward me. She had seen me leave and was worried about me. She recently lost her mother. She loves Dot. She loves me. She understood. Hugs are far better than words. Thank you, Joyce.

How desolate this world would be with good friends to hold us when it hurts.

Dot, I am standing in the gap for you. There is a friend praying for you.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

I know we are all going to die, but I can't imagine the sorrow of being on earth without my mom. I cry just thinking about how that might feel. So eat right please. Buckle up. Floss. See your doctor. I need you around here.

Sorrow is better when it is shared - not less painful, just less lonely.