Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It Is Well With Mt Soul

For me one of the best moments in the Women of Faith conference came in the closing, wrap-up part of program. The singing group Avalon had performed several times during the weekend (I must go buy one of their CDs). The male lead singer for that group has an amazing soprano voice. One of my favorite speakers there is Luci Swindol, a 74-year-old bundle of energy and inspiration. She has a beautiful, very deep voice. They were asked to sing a hymn, any hymn. She sang bass, he sang soprano. They sang my song. Anyone who knows me knows that this song is very special to me. The powerful words reassure me that God is in control and I can rest in his love and trust my life to him. When we made the painful decision that it was time to leave the church where we had worshipped for forty years the congregation sang this song for me, reminding me to trust our future to God. We spent several months looking for a new church home. Some places we only visited once. We worshipped with others for several weeks. For an assortment of reasons none seemed quite right. On our second visit to the local Presbyterian Church I prayed that God would give us a sign, a clear sign that this was or was not the place for us to make our church home. During the offering, the accompanist picked up his flute and played a haunting and beautiful rendition of my song. I started crying. Dennis and I looked at each other and we knew that this was the place to settle. God had given the sign we sought.

When have you felt God speaking to you in the words of a song?

When peace like a river attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot,

Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.

Chorus

It is well (It is well)

With my soul (With my soul)

It is well, it is well with my soul.

My sin – O the bliss of this glorious tho’t

My sin, not in part but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross

And I bear it no more;

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul.

Chorus

And Lord haste the day when faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back like a scroll,

The trump shall resound

And the Lord shall descend,

Even so – It is well with my soul.

Chorus

No comments: