Wednesday, September 15, 2010

River of Life Park

I used to love doing yoga. It was a wonderful way to stretch my muscles and relax my body and soul. I quit the classes when my joint pain worsened and many of the poses became too difficult for me. I have continued to do some of the poses to stretch my muscles and quiet my mind. My favorite pose was always the one that was the last pose of the class – relaxation pose. I would stretch out on my my back and just try to relax my whole body. That is easier said than done. Frequently our teacher would guide us through a visual imagery. Think of a place that is quiet and beautiful. Try to feel yourself there just relaxing.

One of the things that I have found helpful during this long recovery period is practicing the relaxation pose and visualizing a place of pain free peace. It has gotten so that I look forward to taking myself to this perfect place as I escape the pain and frustration of recovery. I am getting better each day and I think part of that is due to my daily escape to what I have called the River of Life Park. Let me tell you about my wonderful world of imagination.

In the Bible's book of Revelations the River of Life is said to flow from the throne of God right through the golden streets of heaven. The Tree of Life, with it's healing fruit grows along it's banks. In my imagination as this river flows outward from God's throne it goes through a wonderful heavenly park. The banks are covered with green grass and shaded by the Tree of Life. I swim in the river and feel it's healing power. I come back to the tables and chairs scattered along the bank and sit down next to my mother. We laugh and talk and feel the joy of being together. We look out to the river where my dad is fishing. I'm sure heaven's river is good for fishing. My children and grandchildren are all around us, playing and laughing. My beloved is counting the birds nesting in the tree of life. The sound of God's heavenly choir is carried by soft, warm breezes. There are tables filled with all the things we love to eat, bananas for mom, blackberry cobbler for my dad, My crazy, loving Aunt Rubye is there serving the children orange juice from Doctor Pepper bottles. In a rocking chair nearby my grandmother is rocking her babies who died shortly after birth. There is no pain here. There are no tears. Love permeates everything.

For now my excursions to River of Life Park are a brief respite from the long journey to recovery. Someday I plan to live there forever.

5 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

That is SUCH a lovely image!! I'm glad you're doing that daily escape--studies show that positivity and positive images help speed the healing process. :)

I hope it continues to help...I'm sending lots of prayers and positive vibes your way! :)

Random Thinker said...

I have a hard time relaxing. I need to be occupied every minute of my waking day. It sounds wonderful and peaceful but I don't think I could do it.

Cazzie!!! said...

I am coming there with you! I so am!

Linda said...

Love you and Miss floating in that river with you.

Middle Child said...

How lovely is that - I remember after my dad was killed when i was 15 writing a poem imagining all our family were gathered in such a golden place - I still have that poem and must re read it - thank you for that