Thursday, September 03, 2009

School Days

It is September and all my school-aged grandchildren are back in class. I hear there is a lot of homework in college. Pom poms are hard work. High-school is not as bad as expected, and the best thing about middle school is having your own locker. I spoke with my West Virginia granddaughter who has just moved to Louisiana and asked how she like school in her new home. She said that school was good except for two problems. They called her a Yankee (there was an adjective used before Yankee that I won't use.) She explained that she was not a Yankee but that her gramma was one. She also said that the school is full of red-necks and racists, but she could deal with them, so all in all, school and Louisiana were good.

So I guess life is going well for the next generation in my family.

6 comments:

rosemary said...

You know if i had to be in high school now, I'd be in big trouble...that is knowing what I know now and being there....yup. big trouble.

Random Thinker said...

I miss having to go buy school supplies for the kids. Nothing quite like a new binder full of fresh paper and a backpack.

Cazzie!!! said...

Sadly, kids learn from their parents to be that way...but also, fortunately, your grandchildren have the fortitude from you and their own parents to not let the others get them down...awesome!

AM Kingsfield said...

Not bad for a bunch of Yankees!

Middle Child said...

You know where the term "rednecks" comes from? In the days when it was unfashionable for wealthy people to get sun on their skin - it was only the poor and labourers who got "red necks" because they had to work out in the sun, digging, planting etc....there was real class discrimination because of the state of your hands and having a red neck.

Sling said...

Not to put too fine a point on it,but the Yankees whupped the tar outta them upstart Confederates!..just sayin'.