Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week End thoughts

We have enjoyed a lovely week end.

Friday night we joined with family and friends to introduce some Texas friends to the fine art of eating crabs. If you have never seen a crab up close figuring out how to get inside can be a bit daunting. The friends caught on quickly and were using their crab mallets like experts by the end of the evening. The first person to eat a crab must have been very brave and very hungry to try to break inside that ugly shell for dinner.

We slept late and Saturday and moved slowly for a few hours. I finished re-reading “Pillars of the Earth.” Wow, that is a great a story. I had read it several years ago, but had forgotten a lot. I think I enjoyed it more this time. What books have read over again and enjoyed more the second time?

We went to see “Julie and Julia” in the late afternoon. Great movie! There is one scene in which the young blogger gets into a big fight with her husband. He is feeling angry and resentful because she has been spending so much time with her blog. Have you ever let your blog interfere with your life?

We came out of the movie hungry for good food. Not knowing where to find a French restaurant we found a lovely Italian place and enjoyed a well prepared, delicious dinner.

Sunday morning is one of my favorite times of the week. I love going to church. The singing is always good. The sermon was interesting. The people love each other. It is just a good place to be. Then this afternoon the church had their annual crab feast. More crabs and more friends. Maybe one day I will actually learn to like eating crabs. I eat a piece of chicken and enjoy watching the others picking crabs. It is just one of those events that is part of living in Maryland. Do you love eating crabs?

This evening we went to the pool for an hour. We both have been plagued with arthritis pain lately, but in the pool we can move without pain. It is so much fun to glide through the water and just enjoy the movement and not think about hurting. It was a lovely way to wind up a lovely week end.

What did you do this week end?

7 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Crabs, yumm, what a great weekend. I baked this past weekend, it is still Winter here so it seemed to the the right thing to do :)

AM Kingsfield said...

So many questions!
I enjoyed the blogging storyline in J&J. When I first started blogging, I felt obligated to post every day. I don't know why: a self-imposed, unrealistic goal. I almost went blogger bankrupt earlier this year, but now have come back to a more realistic approach.

Random Thinker said...

Pillars of the Earth - that is one of my all time favorites. That and The Stand and Gone with the Wind. Sort of like my trilogy of escapism.

Jennie said...

Hm, yes I like eating crabs, I haven't read Pillars but hope to someday, I more often let my personal life interfere with my blog than the other way around. :)

just me said...

when I was a kid I used to read lots of books repeatedly - "Harriet the Spy" comes immediately to mind.

as an adult, I find there are too many books to spend time rereading. but one that I reread years after college - and enjoyed again was "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

(read in Spanish in college and in English later)

Miss Healthypants said...

You just made me want to see that "Julie & Julia" movie--the blogging part makes it interesting to me. :)

Glad you had a good weekend! :)

Sling said...

I love seafood in general,and crab in particular!
Blogging doesn't interfere with my life,because I don't really have much of one.