Thursday, August 13, 2009

Disney World

Last Christmas my sixteen-year-old grandson was diagnosed with diabetes. He was pretty sick and spent a week in the hospital. Life has been difficult for DQ. He has had severe behavior problems that led to major problems at home and at school. He now lives in a group home with six other boys. Last Christmas I made a deal with DQ. If he would follow the diet and get his sugar under control, get his school work on track and make the honor role, and keep his behavior in line, then I would take him to Disney World this summer. I really did not think he could pull all three of those off, but he surprised me. He is off insulin and controls his disease with a pill and diet. He is on the honor roll at school. Life is good and he is getting along with all the people in his life. I am very proud of him.

We leave for Orlando tomorrow for a week in the happiest place on earth. His fourteen-year-old cousin is joining us for our Disney adventure. Both boys are very excited.

6 comments:

julie said...

Sue, his progress has me all choked up. I love that boy and these tears are good tears....happy tears...again, I love that boy.

rosemary said...

WOW....she what a grandmother can do!!!!! I promised my lazy 18 year old grandson a trip to Idaho where he could be beyond lazy for a week if he did certain things....apparently Idaho does not have the draw of Disney.

Sling said...

It's great to see what a little Disney motivation can accomplish!

Cazzie!!! said...

Now THAT is an inspirational story!!! What a boy..and what an influnce you have had.. kudos to you..and of course to him aswell!!

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a blast! God will give you more beautiful gifts--just wait and see---it will be sooo wonderful for all of you. What a gift he has already given you in your g-son...hallelujah!

AM Kingsfield said...

Sounds like everyone is having a good time, judging from the texts.