Thursday, August 06, 2009

Inspiriation

This week a total stranger inspired me to continue living life to the fullest.

My husband and I frequently go to the pool on Sunday evenings. We don't swim, but we walk in the water, talk and enjoy some peaceful time together. It is a pleasant way to finish the week end.

Last Sunday evening a little old lady inspired me. As we were walking in the water I noticed the door to the girl's locker room opening very slowly. A little old lady with a walker was pushing the heavy door open as she crept onto the pool deck. She plopped heavily into the nearest chair, appearing exhausted. She was hunched over with the weight of age and her wrinkled body made her appear crinkly. A man who I assume was her middle aged son came over and spoke with her. A moment later she pulled on her old white rubber bathing cap. Her son assisted her and they slowly began their way around the pool. There is a lovely, warm therapy pool with a wheelchair accessible entrance at the far end of the regular pool. I assumed they were heading there where this lady could stretch her old muscles. I was admiring her for knowing that the warm water would be beneficial when she stopped at the steps of the regular pool. Her son assisted her as she struggled down the steps and into the water. I thought they must not have noticed the lovely, warm therapy pool with its easy entrance. She made her way to the deeper water and began to swim. For the next thirty minutes this woman who appeared to be about a hundred years old swam laps. I was amazed. We assume when a person is old they can no longer do the things they once enjoyed. I just assumed she was too old. This lady could no longer stand up straight, she could barely walk, but she certainly could swim. She was smiling as she left the pool.

When was the last time a total stranger inspired you?

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Some people just ARE an inspiration...just being. :)

rosemary said...

You inspire me a lot. But you are not a stranger. I turn 65 this year and I got an ad from the Scooter Store in the mail yesterday. Not the inspiration I was looking for.

Middle Child said...

Wow...thats a lovely story...thanks for that.

Sling said...

I think this is the last time I was inspired by an older person.
Great story Mom!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't God have a way of putting things into perspective at just the right moment? What an insightful story to think about this weekend....thanks!

Cazzie!!! said...

Awesokmem post! Every single day people inspire me who come through the doors of the Hospital. Also, when I ride my bike, we often see elderly people walking and riding, every single day they do it, and they too are my inspiration :)

Jennie said...

This post reminded me of college when I used to swim laps in the pool at the gym. A blind lady swam there on certain nights and we began to meet at the changing room so I could help her to the pool. Then we swam, she did it on her own, feeling for the rope in between the lanes when needed. Then we returned to the changing room. I found her pretty amazing too, esp considering that I was giving myself a big pat on the back just to go do laps myself, let alone do it while blind.