Monday, August 03, 2009

Make Up

Through the wonder of Facebook I found my friend Judy today. She moved away and we have not seen each other in many years. Our kids were good friends when they were teenagers and we shared a lot of the joys and trials of having adolescent children. We bonded.

Judy was, and probably still is, a Mary Kay lady. She almost got me to wear make up.

I have never worn make up. I always felt silly when I tried to wear it. I just figured it was not worth the effort for me. Judy thought I would like wearing make up and persuaded me to come to her house for a make up party. She assured me that it would be fun. I went and it was fun, but I was out of my comfort zone. We all received a sample of foundation cream and were told to apply it in the usual manner. I stared at it for a while and watched the other women. I just wasn't sure how to proceed. Finally I confessed I had never applied foundation cream and didn't know how. With a smile Judy instructed me on the fine art of applying make up. At the end of the evening all the women there said I looked beautiful. My cheeks were rosy. My eyelids were shadowed. My eyelashes looked long and lovely. My lips were rich and full. I looked almost stunning. I felt glamorous. Then I went home. I walked in the door feeling oh so pretty. My son looked up from his video game and stared at me. I prepared myself for his compliment. He said, “What's that stuff on your eyes. It makes you look weird.” I smiled knowing he was just an adolescent who did not appreciate beauty. I walked down the hall to show my beloved husband my beautiful new face. He stared at me and finally said, “What do you have all over face?” I sighed and asked if he didn't think I looked beautiful. He smiled and told me that I always looked beautiful. I washed off the make up and felt a bit relieved to just be me again.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Judy and a few others I remember were MK ladies.

It's fun that you found an old friend...

Cazzie!!! said...

Lovely story :)
MK ladies are gorgeous, just as us "plain Jane'es can be too".
I just know that our personailites would not alter..and I bet you girls will feel that time has not changed you either :)

rosemary said...

i always wore make-up. i always put on foundation to go to the market....with rollers in my hair however. Not anymore. The squirrels just laugh.

Middle Child said...

Apart from a bit of lipstick, and a little eyebrow pencil thats it and I am happy with my face like that...its the face I was given and its okay...whatever you like to do or be should be okay whether its splotched with spackfilla or naked as the day you were born...

AM Kingsfield said...

You are beautiful!