Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Playlist

The playlist in my head is always set on random and plays almost continuously. Whenever I am working around the house or doing some mindless chore the playlist becomes more audible and I start singing along with whatever song currently playing in my head. More often than not I catch myself singing an old hymn from my childhood, but it could be a song that I heard on the radio or a song we have learned in the senior chorale. I just start singing without realizing it.

One day this summer I was singing as I cleaned up the kitchen while we were on vacation with our grandsons. My sixteen year old boy told me that he loved to listen to me sing. I always sounded happy and that made him feel good. I thought it was a great compliment.

I have not always had such nice things said about my unconscious singing. One day long ago I was singing as I made a patient's bed in the hospital. The patient was a frail little old lady whom I had just bathed and dressed. I had brushed her hair and put a pretty ribbon in it. She looked pretty as she sat in in a chair while I changed her sheets. She listened to me sing for a few minutes then said, “Honey, when you were young I bet you could sing.”

What is the appropriate response to a statement like that? I quit singing.

4 comments:

Middle Child said...

What a dry wit - and how clever

just me said...

I, too, have an internal playlist - but most of the time it is too noisy around me to hear what's playing. I tend to notice it most when I'm in the house alone (which is rarely).

Can't come up with a witty comeback to that lady - I probably would have stopped singing too.

Random Thinker said...

I love music but like most of my family, I can't sing worth a lick. I do sing in the car though, loud and strong.

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that lady said that! I say you should never quit singing, especially if it makes you happy.

I know what you mean about the soundtrack, too--I have a continuous one running in my head all the time, as well.