Friday, September 25, 2009

Computer

I am sitting here in my husband's much too big office chair. He loves this chair. I often see him sitting here, leaning back with eyes closed as he meditates on life. This chair is way too big for me. My legs aren't long enough to reach the floor and I can't sit back and relax because I'm too short to reach the back of the seat. I feel like a little kid in a grown-up's chair and I don't like it.

So why I am I sitting in this uncomfortable big chair?

My computer died. I mourned for it all day, but it could not be resuscitated. Inside my dead computer there is much information that I need. It holds our financial records, pictures of my life, addresses of friends and relatives, and of course the record my exciting and interesting blog. It is gone and I sit here in my husband's big chair so I can use his computer and share my loss with you.

I will recover from my mourning quickly because I have the good fortune to be married to my very own in-house IT guy. He came home last night with a brand spanking new computer for me. This week-end he will do his magic and somehow retrieve all that wonderful information from the hard drive of my dead computer and transfer it to my new machine. I don't know how he will do that. I really do believe there is a bit of magic involved. I am grateful to have married someone with skills. I love a man with skills.

10 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

Thank God for men with skills! :) Without my hubby, I would be forced to listen to a running toilet all night long. :)

Sorry your computer broke...but glad that you got a brand new one! :)

Barb said...

Hope your hubby gets all your important lifetime info onto your new computer and start to enjoy yourself again. Maybe you should buy a smaller chair for yourself too. LOL!

Cazzie!!! said...

Woot woo for the man with skills : And also to the man with the ability to find his own socks and shoes in the morning, I love that too , hehe.

just me said...

I agree it's great to be married to someone with skills... in my house, I am the "one-eyed man" when it comes to computers (as in: "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.")

however, this does also demonstrate the need for backup. I never backed up until our computer crashed. Now I have an external hard drive which automatically backs up once a week. Does wonders for the peace of mind.

Sling said...

Hubby rocks!!..Just Me is right about the whole Back Up thing.My computer crashes a couple of times a year,(Not the computer's fault..I tend to abuse it),and even though it's an irritation,at least I can retrieve my most treasured files.
What kind of computer did you get?..A desktop,or laptop?..PC or Mac?
..just wonderin'.

Mom said...

Thanks for all the advice. Don't know what happened to the old one, but almost everything was backed up. With a little magic my IT guy has transferred almost everything to the new new computer. It was just tedious to retrieve it all and set the new one up.It is a desktop - a mini Acer. I am happy to be sitting in a better fitting chair again.

Random Thinker said...

Good thing you back up. I need to get an external drive so I can do that. All my digital pics are on my computer. I would hate to lose those.

AM Kingsfield said...

My shrink said there are two kinds of people in the world: those who back up, and those who wished they'd backed up.

I never heard of a mini-Acer. I hope your learning curve on the new hardware isn't too steep.

rosemary said...

I am sitting here looking at the bright light of my backup drive...Steve set it up...he says i don't have to do a thing, just enjoy the light. I will wear black for a minute in memory of your old computer.

Middle Child said...

A good reminder for me to back up my computer today...