Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Egypt


We leave on our long planned trip to Egypt in twenty-five days. To say we are excited would be a great understatement. I have always been fascinated by stories of ancient Egypt. It is hard to believe how very old it is. The Great Pyramid was ancient when Moses lived there. I love thinking about those people who lived so very long ago. Were their lives really that much different than mine? They have left us much to make us wonder about the lives they lived.

I am anxious to see the great temple at Abu Simbel. It is the one in the picture with the colossal statues. One of them lost it's head in an ancient earthquake and inspired Shelley to write a poem about the folly of fame. This Temple was carved out of a solid cliff in the thirteenth century B.C. It was built to honor Rames II, who was probably the pharaoh we read about in the Moses story.

There is more to see than the two weeks we will be there will allow us to see.What would you want to see if you were traveling to Egypt? What shall I bring you as a souvenir?

13 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO cool! I'm SO envious of you!! :)

I would want to see everything...I feel like I could spend a month in Egypt.

Please bring lots of pictures back with you, to share with us! *smiles*

AM Kingsfield said...

Well, if you can't bring me a piece of that broken statue, then a bit of Egyptian sand will do. Or maybe a pencil from the library of Alexandria.

Unknown said...

Bring yourselves back safe and sound and with lots of pictures and stories to share with us all! Will be looking forward to reading about your next great adventure!

Random Thinker said...

I love ancient Egypt too. The pyramids, Valley of the Kings, the Nile Delta.... how cool. I'm curious whether they have tourist areas near the pyramids that sell things like tiny replica mummies. If so, that's what I would like.

Linda said...

I am so thrilled for you. I'd love a rock. Just a small rock, any rock will do. Can't wait to hear all about it!

MarkEC said...

When I was there as a youngster, my school friends thought it was fun to barter with the local merchants, even though they had no money to buy anything. Don't do that.. it makes them very angry! :-)

I will look forward to your photos, the popular souvenirs in my group were stuffed animals (camels in this case).

Tracy said...

Photos and details all about your trip.

Have a great time!

Sling said...

Take a picture of the Nile river for me!
..and bring me Hoda Kotbe.

rosemary said...

Wow....you have really got my mind whirling....I would love to go to Egypt. Bring me back a photo of your favorite place.

julie said...

My souvenir needs to be an evening with the Evans and Ann and her family (couldn't figure out how to pluralize Evankovich) with food, wine, and dessert and the two of you telling all your tales while the rest of us roar with laughter....it needs to be in Ann's kitchen and Sue, you need to sit on the stairs. That just seems to be the place that we all tell our travel stories and laugh until we are crying. Can you arrange that?

Mom said...

Julie, you get yourself here and the party in Ann's kitchen is on. I hear a bit of homesickness in your voice. I miss you too.

John said...

Can I get a library card from that place in Alexandria? Maybe they've got a bigger selection of Audiobooks. Have fun. But we'll talk again before then.

Cazzie!!! said...

WOW, a trip down te Nihle is what I would do :)