Monday, June 01, 2009

FISH

One of the things I do to make myself useful is to volunteer for FISH. I don't think that is an acronym for anything, just a made up name for the group. FISH is a group of people who volunteer their time to give rides to people who are unable to drive. Most of the passengers are older folks whose health no longer allows them to drive. It is an easy thing to do. I have a car and time and enjoy being a helper.

Spending time in the waiting rooms of different doctors can be a very interesting experience. Most often I bring a book and the room is a quiet place to read, but other times it gives me an opportunity for prime people watching.

One of my passengers had an appointment with a psychiatrist with a packed waiting room. The patients were happily sharing their diagnoses and how different anti-psychotic drugs affected them. On the way home my passenger pointed out all the Washington DC license plates we saw on the road. We live in suburban DC so this is a common sight. She told me that she kept track of them and has frequently called Homeland Security because there is a plot for DC to take over Maryland. I imagine Homeland Security is thankful for her vigilance.

One day I took a passenger to a dialysis appointment. The patients in this office have spent a lot of time together and know each other well. Their conversation was a debate about whether or not to have a kidney transplant. Dialysis takes about four hours a day three times weekly. I would think they would all be anxious to get a new kidney so they would no longer need dialysis. One gentleman said his son wanted to donate a kidney, but he refused. Donating a kidney is a major surgical procedure. What if something happened to his son? The fear of that possibility overwhelmed him and he could not allow it. The fear of accepting a cadaver kidney seemed to be scary to several patients. The known routine of dialysis seemed preferable to the unknown risks of a transplant. It was an interesting conversation.

Some waiting rooms are bright and cheerful, some are dark and depressing. Some are crowded with long waits, some are near empty with no waiting time. Some drives are short, some are further away. My passengers are always grateful.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

That's a great thing to volunteer to do I think. I spend many days doing the same, only for people I happened to have birthed. ;)

rosemary said...

Volunteering is so fulfilling....i have done it for the Library and for a local school with the challenged students....i was going to do it for the senior center, but can't see myself delivering meals in the dead of winter. Sue, can you email me, please....or ask your husband if he knows of Irving the lawyer I mentioned in my post.....he invented some rocket fuel....much older than your husband....but I wondered if the Irving name would be someone he knew of.

AM Kingsfield said...

I find their stories rewarding.

Middle Child said...

This is something i plan on doing as soon as I am able to be reliable and know I can be there regularly...not yet. I need this time...Doing what you do would suit me as one on one works for me.