Sunday, March 01, 2009

Thoughts from My Weekend

Friday I took my eighty-five year old friend Jane to see her ninety year old husband Frank. Jane doesn't walk very well, so I pushed her in a wheelchair down the long hallways of the nursing home to her husband's room. I pushed her chair as close to the bedside as possible so the two of them could visit. The first thing she did was to struggle up out of the chair, lean over and tell Frank that she loved him. He smiled, his eyes sparkled, and he struggled up into a sitting position and hugged and kissed his sweetheart. They have been married sixty-four years and they still bring a light to each other's eyes. Long time love is a beautiful thing.

Saturday I went to watch the high school play. My talented fifteen year old granddaughter sings and dances in the ensemble of “All Shook Up.” My eleven year old granddaughter sat next to me. She leaned up against me and I gently rubbed my fingers along her arm as we watched the play. It was a moment of sweetness with this little girl. I got a little teary eyed as I realized how very quickly she is growing up. We must grab each moment of joy with our little ones. The time passes so quickly.

Our youth group at church participated in a 30 Hour Famine this weekend. The kids went 30 hours with out food to bring awareness to the problem of hunger in the world. They did all sorts of service projects and fun activities over the course of the 30 hours, but they did not eat. They were hungry at church this morning. During communion one of the kids tolled a bell every three seconds to remind us that a child dies every three seconds in this world of ours from hunger related illnesses. It was very moving. I came home grateful for my well fed children and grandchildren. Nothing could be harder than to watch your children starve.

It is snowing tonight. The weatherman says we might have six inches of snow by morning. Here it is March and we are getting the biggest storm of the winter. The weather is not very predictable. Life is full of surprises.

Hope you all have a lovely week.

3 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

March sure came in like a beautiful lion!

Unknown said...

We sent the snow on to you- sorry, although it was beautiful.

Stay warm.

Jennie said...

Thanks for the window into your weekend. It was touching, remembering how precious life is.