Thursday, March 05, 2009

Prayer

I just read this poem over on Joy Hays blog. I found it spoke to me. Perhaps you will like it too.
—–
I am not made to pray. I close my eyes
and float among the spots behind my lids.
I chew the name God, God, like habitual
gum, think about dusting the shelves, then sleep.
-
It is hard to speak to the capital LORD
who deals in mountains and seas, not in a woman
rewashing her mildewed laundry while scolding
her toddler through gritted teeth. I should
-
escape to the closet and kneel to the holy
singularity who blasted my cells from a star.
I should imagine the blood soaking
into the cross’s grain, plead forgiveness
-
for splintering my child’s soul. But the words
never find their way out of the dark.
Choirs and candles shine in his bones
while I doze at the door of his body.

Tania Runyan

4 comments:

Sling said...

I do like it..Very much!
Although,I tend in my self-centered arrogance to address the Lord directly as the need arises.

Anonymous said...

CS Prayer:
Lord, please help.. Thank you!

rosemary said...

I like it too....I have a hard time praying .....you know that....so it is the Lord's prayer over and over again....Maybe all I need is LORD.

I tried to copy and paste it, print it and no good....would you email it to me, Sue? momikat@hughes.net

AM Kingsfield said...

I totally relate to the speaker's voice. It takes deliberate effort to feel reverent. I like the Zen appreciation of the ordinary.