Saturday, March 21, 2009

Feeling Old

It has been a busy week. I am tired and feeling old. I don't think life made me this tired a few years ago.
The week started out with a wonderful celebration Sunday night. My baby boy turned forty on Saint Patrick's Day. The family celebrated the occasion by taking him to an Irish pub and then to see Riverdance. It was an awesome show, but I kept thinking that my youngest is forty. How did I get this old?

I worked as a nurse in my doctor's office on Tuesday. I did that job for twenty years and know all the patients and staff. It is always fun to see everyone. Did I always feel that tired after work? I was exhausted for the next two days, and it wasn't even a very busy day.

Many of my friends no longer drive and I have been volunteering to help take them to doctor's appointments and necessary errands. I have been to a doctor's office, nursing home or hospital every day this week. I am glad I can help, but I am becoming very aware of the fact that life is brief. I want to seize the day and enjoy every minute of this gift of life. It would be easier if I weren't so tired so often.

My daughter is out of town for a few days. I spent one night with her kids and helped with the carpooling for a day. These grandchildren of mine are wonderful, well behaved, delightful people. I cherish every minute with them. I am used to living with one quiet man. My daughter's household is full of people and wonderful chaos. I was tired after a day with them. How did I raise all my children? Did I get this tired then?

I went to bed early last night and slept late this morning. I pan to do nothing today. Life is good and I know that I am blessed.

9 comments:

Sling said...

That's what I like to call a 'good tired'..Having spent time with loved ones,and even helping out friends and neighbors is indeed a blessing.
..Take the rest of the day off. ;)

Jennie said...

You've described exactly how I've felt for about a year and I'm 44. (I will be 76 when my baby turns
40.) I wonder the same thing about how not to feel so tired, I think exercise and good eating help, but sometimes life is just tiring!

Linda said...

You give so much to so many. It's good to put yourself on the list too. Balance... One for them, One for you :) Love you!

rosemary said...

My baby will be 40 in June....I will be 65 in November....what???? I feel the same way most days but not from doing good works but from my self inflicted house cleaning o/c need. My back aches, i sleep poorly, but Sue I'd bet you feel 30 in your mind, right? i think.... how could i be 65 when i still love rock music, want to try a trampoline jump or two, skate again and eat cheeseburgers every day?

just me said...

While I appreciate all the good work you do to help the community, I think that once in a while you need to say no. The world will not stop spinning, and you won't wear yourself out so badly. Besides, we want you around for a good long while. You really don't have to do everything.

Blessings,
L.

Mom said...

I actually say no more than yes. There is plenty of work left undone. I do set aside time for me quite a bit, but some weeks are just too busy.

Cazzie!!! said...

Our days are so full aren't they? Spending time with the grandcholdren must have been great. I bet they love you too!

AM Kingsfield said...

I think when you were where I am you did everything I'm doing plus worked night shifts at the hospital!

Middle Child said...

Remember the movie "Pay it Forward" thats how it works...you do good stuff (but take care of yourself) the person affected may find something nice to do for someone and on and on till after its gone around the world a few times, someone out of the blue does something nice for you - and we don't connect it...but thats how it works i reckon.