Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Love

It was forty-nine years ago today that I decided that I would marry my husband. I didn't tell him but I knew.

I was nineteen and my astronomer and I had been dating for six months. He had invited me to join him at the Blacker House snow party. Blacker House was the name of the dorm he lived in at Cal Tech, but it was more like a fraternity. Anyway, much to my mother's concern, I accepted and went off to spend a week-end in the snow with a bunch of college kids. During the week-end one of the chaperons found me and told me that my mother had called and I needed to call home. This was a long time before cell phones and the only phone in the lodge was in the chaperon's room. When I called my mom she gave me wonderful news. I was an aunt. My brother and his wife were the parents of a baby girl. To say that I was excited would be a great understatement. I went off to tell everyone about my wonderful news. One after another of the party-goers looked at me with little interest and went back to what they were doing before I had announced my wonderful, amazing news. I was disappointed that no one seemed to want to hear all the details about my brand new niece. Then I found my handsome young astronomer and shared my news. He hugged me and said that was wonderful and exciting. He wanted to hear all the details. He shared my excitement. He let me babble on an about my joy at becoming an aunt. It was then I knew that this man was wonderful and I would marry him one day.

Happy birthday, Julie. Your birthday brings me wonderful memories.

5 comments:

Sling said...

Little did your future hubby realize,that his fate had been sealed on that very day. ;)
Happy Birthday Julie!

Cazzie!!! said...

Happy Birthday to Julie..and what a wonderful story..it made me smile and laugh and almost..(sniff sniff) cry!

Lorraine said...

What a delightful tale! Happy birthday, Julie!

rosemary said...

You are a smart lady....and your husband is lucky and Julie made it all happen.

John said...

There are two things that a man cannot outrun, an angry bear and a woman with the intent to marry.