Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lost

Sixteen years ago today my good friend Julie gave birth to a beautiful baby girl . My friend Dot and I drove to the hospital in Baltimore to meet this new baby. Julie gave us careful directions and we arrived at the hospital with no problem. The baby was beautiful and we sat and rocked the her and visited for as long as we could before starting our drive home. We had a small problem. The streets we came on were one way going the wrong way and we quickly got lost trying to find our way through the strange neighborhood. Eventually we found the Baltimore Beltway and thought we would easily find our way home, but I was not familiar with the Baltimore exits and the signs were not familiar. I couldn't decide which exit to take. An hour later we crossed the Key Bridge for the second time. I thought twice around the Beltway was enough and I had better get off somewhere soon. I was grateful to have a very good friend along to laugh and cry with me for our very lost adventure. We did eventually get home. It took about thirty minutes to get to the hospital and about three hours to find our way home.

Where were you when you got really lost?

6 comments:

Anne said...

I don't get lost often, given I am a geographer and have a very good sense of direction, but I have been misplaced before: I am here, but I want to be over there...

Jennie said...

I don't get lost too much and my hubby is "Map Man." But you reminded me of a time our kids were in a hedge maze and we were standing above them watch their confusion and thinking, "This is a great way to steal some time together away from the kids! We need a maze for the backyard!" lol I hope you have a gps now Mom.j

Sling said...

Kansa City,Missouri is the most vexing city I've ever been to!
You can get into the city just fine,but trying to get out is a nightmare.
All the streets are one-way,going exactly the wrong direction.
I spent about two hours driving around looking at the freeway(It's right THERE!),but every turn I took took me away from it.
I can't recall how I got out,but I never went back.

John said...

I missed a turn once coming out of Chicago when I was driving tour buses and ended up driving through some university while trying to find my way back to the highway. I just pretended it was part of the tour since they were high schoolers. They now, or did anyway, know more than they wanted to about the University of Chicago, or whatever it was. Most of which they learned from me that day was probably, most likely, not true.

rosemary said...

I think you were brave to take off like that....i wouldn't have done it....ever. I have no sense of direction....not even at the local market.

Sarah H. said...

Baltimore...always Baltimore!