Monday, July 28, 2008

Giant Tortoises



No visit to the Galapagos would be complete without seeing giant tortoises. On the island of Santa Cruz we had our chance to see them in the wild and later at the Charles Darwin research center. I loved seeing them in the wild, just lumbering along at their very slow pace, munching grass as they went. These creatures weigh up to 500 pounds and live more than 150 years. There are currently eleven species of giant tortoises. At one time there were more than thirty different species, but people have made life difficult for the tortoise. The most noticeable difference is the shape of their shells. Some are domed, others are saddle backed. These differences were among the observations that helped Darwin to conceive of his theory of evolution and the survival of the fittest.





According to the shipboard naturalist, we can all learn some very important life lessons from observing the tortoise. This the list.
1.Eat you vegetables.
2.Get a minimum of eight hours sleep every night.
3.Slow down and reduce stress.
4.Have sex for at least four hours every day.

9 comments:

Barb said...

I can do 1-3 on your list but #4 I just don't have the time or energy for that one. LOL

Cazzie!!! said...

I'd love to be a tortoise lol

Cazzie!!! said...

for the sleep of course!!

Jennie said...

Hm, I've never wanted to be a galapogas tortoise and now I'm even more sure.
Great seeing you pictures. So sorry about your sister in law and your poor brother.

Sling said...

These photos are absolutely priceless!..
Now I'm off to work on living to 150.

Unknown said...

Giggle...

Anonymous said...

Great advice Mom! Spoken like a true mom.

I am definitely domed shaped...I fit into that category.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm changing my reincarnation plan.

John said...

8 hours sleep?! Unbelievable!