Saturday, July 05, 2008

$

When we returned home from our visit in West Virginia we had a message from our bank to call as soon as possible. There had been unusual activity on our bank account. We weren't too concerned, assuming our out of town charges had been noted. When my husband went in to check it was a little scarier than that. A phone call from someone impersonating my husband had come in from Singapore to verify the faxed withdrawal slip with a signature closely resembling my husband's signature. Whoever it was had all the information about our bank account and was requesting the exact amount of money available in our account plus a loan for $100,000. It all looked very legitimate. Fortunately the bank recognized this as highly unusual and called to verify the transaction before transferring the money. Apparently the information was obtained through records that are part of the public domain about property ownership in Maryland and then through credit checks that had all our financial information. It was scary to think that we were a keystroke away from having our entire savings wiped out. We have closed our bank account and opened a new one that is password protected. The FBI and the Secret Service are investigating the incident. We are grateful to still have our savings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God was surely sending his bank angels to protect you! Right on that the thieves didn't get through and your bank had enough sense to stop everything!
God is great!

Unknown said...

I've had times when someone has used our debit card to make purchases that I caught and got reinbursed for, but nothing as scary as what happened to you! Thank goodness for the bank checking, just like this past weekend when we used our card much much more than usual to furnish the house, they denied us after a couple of transactions, but once I called them, to verify it was indeed us, we were good to go!

Jennie said...

Yikes! Glad things turned out well!

Sling said...

This is why I keep all my money in my mattress.

Susan Lucente said...

Oh my word! That is scary! I am not nearly as careful as I should be at checking up on things to make sure nothing funny is going on... but that's because I rarely have enough in the bank for anyone to steal. Glad your bank was on the ball for you. :-)

Barb said...

What a scary thing for you to deal with. Wow, so glad you are a couple of smart cookies and do your banking at a reputable institution. I always check my bank activity on-line. Only time I have been scammed was about 15 years ago when someone used my phone number somehow and called Las Vegas about 100 times. I lived in N. Idaho at the time. Anyway, my bill came and it was over $400. but I didn't have to pay it thank God! My usual monthly bill was only around $25. at the time so you can imagine my surprize.

Mom, thanks for reassuring me that I am writing what I am suppose to be writing on my blog. Sorry I wore you out with all my work. LOL. I will try and rest up a bit tomorrow so you can relax a bit too ok? You are a funny lady!!

John said...

So very frightening. This is why I stay broke all the time. No money in the bank, nothing to steal.

Sandy said...

Wow - too close! Scarey to think of how easily info that used to be private is now available for all to see.