Saturday, October 06, 2007

Ordinary Time

We changed churches a few years ago and learned about the liturgical year. This was a new thing for us and we found it an interesting learning tool that we liked it. When you ask most folks what part of the church year they like best they will say either Christmas or Easter. Personally my favorite is that long period knows as Ordinary Time. Holidays are fun, but we spend most of our life doing the daily ordinary things. Long ago one of my children asked me what my hobby was and I told him it was doing laundry. “Oh,” he said, “is that why you do it all the time?” I find joy in doing the daily things in life and remembering to be thankful for the ability to do that chore. The other night we pulled out a deck of Zen Tarot cards that my daughter owns and we each pulled a card that was supposed to give us insight into our situation and use it as a meditation for the day. It seemed appropriate that the card I pulled was Ordinariness. The explanation for the card said, “Beauty can found in the simple, ordinary things of life…Cleaning the house, cooking the meals take on a sacred quality when performed with love…. Take things simply, one step at a time.” The card did seem right for this time when I have taken over the ordinary chores of running the house for my daughter.

Here are some of my favorite ordinary things:

1. The smell of freshly laundered clothes as I fold them and put them into my grandchildren’s rooms. I am glad they have good clothes to wear.

2. The sounds of birds coming in the window as I read.

3. Sharing my first cup of morning coffee with my daughter.

4. Delicious dinners prepared by people who love us.

5. Sleeping in my own bed.

6. Sitting by my grandchildren in church and hearing them sing.

7. A big hug from a friend who understands why am I so tired.

8. Walking

9. Singing

10. My sweet husband who loves me in good times and in bad.

What are some of the ordinary things in your life that bring you joy?

8 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Laughter.
The smell of my laundry as I hang it to dry.
My sandlewood oil that I wear on my skin.
My incense of Naga Champ from India.
Anything I cook for the kids.
The smell of fresh cut lawns.
The smell of the park as we walk through it to get to the school.

Cazzie!!! said...

Oh, I went on about smell....

Touch, the feel of my babies' soft hair.
The feel of clean sheets and soft pillows.
The touch of a hand when all is quiet.
There are so many things aren't there?

Sling said...

1)Work..Seeing the results of my own devices made tangible.
2)The Moon..I take some measure of comfort from the ever changing,yet always predictable phases.
3)Words..The profound impact that the simple arrangement of letters,with a little judicious placement,can have on our perception is a constant source of amazement.

rosemary said...

Having Steve home
Holding a kitten
Hearing my daughter's voice on the phone
Starting a new book
Knowing my children love me

MarkEC said...

Smiles on the faces of people around me.
Helping put those smiles there.
Hugs.
Thinking that I am making a positive contribution in my small part of the world.
My daughter's love.. even if it is not as blatant as it used to be. ;-)

Linda said...

I have a picture of that card blown up and framed, hanging in my office. It reminds me every day that it is the ordinariness that is rich and necessary, not fame and fortune. My favorites:
Chopping vegetables
Pulling weeds
Watching the birds fly and squabble
Cutting magazines for SoulCollage
Hugging a good friend and understanding why she's so tired
Dropping into Warrior pose and sighing as my muscles let go
Breathing in, breathing out

Lorraine said...

Blogging.
Cooking.
Tidying up the house.
Fresh, clean table cloths.
Candles.
Coffee.
Using a really nice pen.
Loving the puppy.
On-line bill paying.
Red wine.
Grocery shopping.
Ironing napkins while watching cooking shows.
Clothes that fit.
Dew.
Autumn leaves.

Also, my husband made up a little song for ordinary time, sung to the tune of "O Christmas Tree":

"Oh, ordinary time, oh ordinary time, there's really not much happening".

I love the liturgical calendar. Love. It.

Anne said...

Different phases of the moon, a waxing crescent just after the new moon is my favorite.

Spontaneous speech from my son. But that's not always ordinary.