Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Applemania

AM’s older kids went camping with friends this past weekend. On the way home they made the required stop at the Apple House bringing home a big bag of apples and two dozen fresh apple donuts. A fresh donut from the Apple House is like a taste of heaven. It just melts in your mouth and makes you feel better all over. The taste is a spiritual feast. So yummy.

Last night Grampa and our 12-year-old grandson were home alone for a while. The boy decided to try to improve on the basic apple donut and created a new dessert. The ingredients were apple donut, marshmallow fluff, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate syrup and whipped cream. They both said it was delicious and there was none left, but I’m not sure my stomach could handle much of that creation.

Tonight’s event was the making of apple pies. Grampa and young friend Emmy got AM’s apple corer, peeler, slicer gadget out and prepared the apples, Gramma Ev mixed the apples with the sugar and spices, AM used her crutch to point to where things were in her kitchen and I put the pies in the oven. In the midst of the slicing and stirring, Emmy laughed and said, “This is applemania!” There was a lot of laughter baked into those pies. They tasted wonderful.

Got any good apple recipes?

7 comments:

MarkEC said...

The aroma of fresh baked apple pies wafting through the house.. how wonderful! I wonder if there will be any left over? ;-) No recipes from me though.. will work on it.

John said...

My best Apple recipe is easy. One Granny smith. Wash with Ice Cold Water. (Can be found in most Kitchens). Eat from hand. Easy. Can't improve on that much. One variation involves cutting the apple but that requires two hands. I'm into one handed things for the most part.

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm sure i could cook anything if I always had five such cooperative kitchen assistants. Talk about a fully staffed kitchen! And the results were delicious and I'm sure entirely healthy.

I usually follow John's recipe when cooking alone, although I sometime skip step one.

Sling said...

Homemade apple pie..YUMM!..I don't need ice cream,or whipped cream,..just a big glass of milk!

Unknown said...

Slobbering...

rosemary said...

I am not a cook or creative...I use an apple slicer, take out the core, pour hot caramel sauce over the apple and eat.

Anne said...

I was there when those pies came out of the oven, thanks by the way. It got me in the mood to make apple crisp. sliced up apples with brown sugar, flour, butter and spices cut together and put on top, bake for 45 mins at 350.