Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Wake


While we were coming home from our trip to the salt marshes in Cape May our boat was hit by the wake of a bigger boat with a careless captain. We were pitched back and forth pretty hard. Our captain was angry and said it always made him mad when people went sailing through life without ever thinking about what they were leaving behind them. “People should be careful about their wake!” was what he said. I immediately thought of another song sung by the Four Bitchin’ Babes that talks about leaving something beautiful in our wake.

When we had our will done a few months ago the lawyer said the one thing we needed to do now was to write an ethical will or a legacy letter. It is not a legal document. It is a letter of what you what you want to tell your family, the things you want them to hear from you one more time. I’ve been trying to think of what to put into such a letter and I just don’t know what I want to say. Should I just recount some good stories and memories? Should I just tell them how much I love them? Should I talk about faith and hope? What kind of things would you want to hear in a letter from someone you loved? Is it important to write such a letter? Haven’t I already told them all the things I should say?

 "For Carolyn" by Pat Crawford Brown:
 When we were small and ocean waves were high
I'd run across the sand and call
"Please!  Wait for me!"
you waited patiently without a sigh
then hand in hand we'd face each wave
oh, we were so brave back then
do you still wait beyond the wave
and can you hear my rhyme?
if so, I'll wait here on the sand
I promise to be brave
just tell me when it's time
and hold my hand

 "Something Beautiful" by Christine Lavin
 As sad days go it was a bad one
she died way too soon
her friends and her family gathered
like rings around the moon
everybody had a story
how she touched each life
she was a mom, a sister, an aunt, a volunteer,
a grandmother, friend, a wife
 
her poems and watercolors
were lovingly displayed
beach scenes and summer dreams
 never fade
outside a breeze was swirling
the stars across the sky
inside the grief washed over us
as we said good-bye
 
    But she left something beautiful in her wake
    as our spirits sink, our voices break
    her work remains for us to see
    her paintings and her poetry
    she left something beautiful here on earth
    we mourn her death, but celebrate her birth
    she’s on a journey we all will someday make
    and look, she left something beautiful in her wake
 
As bad days go it was a sad one
flowers ringed the room
cousins greeted cousins they haven’t seen
since that wedding back in June
but it was June of 1990
amazing how time flies
we never seem to get together
unless someone marries or someone dies
 
Remember all those baby pictures?
they’re those teenagers over there
we secretly are thankful no nose rings
or spiky purple hair
they do not remember us
but you know, that’s OK
it's enough that we are here
and reconnecting today
 
    She left something beautiful in her wake
    they quietly cry, their young hearts ache
    her children’s children, her legacy
    with her paintings and her poetry
    she left something beautiful here on earth
    we mourn her death, but celebrate her birth
    she's sailing where waves never break
    and look, she left something beautiful in her wake
 
        We have all gone home now
        back to the working grind
        I can't help but think about
        those things we leave behind
        As I sit in traffic
        pound the steering wheel
        inch along this highway
        pray my soul will heal
 
    You've got to leave something beautiful in your wake
    as you sail on for heaven's sake
    leave something good at the end of each day
    to help us through, light our way
 
    leave something beautiful we can share
    to make us glad that you are there
    you may drift off course and make mistakes
    but you can still . . . 
 
    Leave something beautiful in your wake
    keep your spirits up, whatever it takes
    leave something good at the end of the day
    to help us through, to guide our way
 
    give us something beautiful we can share
    to make us glad that you’re still there
    you may drift off course, and make mistakes
    but you can still leave something beautiful in your wake
 
    leave something beautiful in your wake . . . 

4 comments:

Joan said...

I've never heard of an ethical will or legacy letter but I think it's a wonderful idea. I know some folk make videos for their loved ones to view once they're gone but I'd be at a loss as to what to say. I'm anxious to hear from your other commenters about their thoughts on this matter.

MarkEC said...

I haven't quite read your entire blog from the beginning, but from what I have read.. this endeavor will be a wonderful legacy for your children and grandchildren and the generations beyond.

Linda said...

no words...but a very big hug.

John said...

I would love to make a video to leave. that would be cool. I think a legacy letter is a great idea as well although I've never heard of one either. I want a video for my funeral so that I can make sure that at least some people are still laughing.