Friday, August 03, 2007

Cape May



We have had a lovely four days in Cape May, New Jersey. Cape May is the oldest seashore resort in the nation, and it is just adorable. It is full of old Victorian homes, most of which have been converted into bed and breakfasts. There is gingerbread, spindles and froofery on all the houses. Just walking around and looking at all the old homes and gardens is a delight. The beach is beautiful and there are many cute little shops and boutiques to browse through. Wonderful restaurants are everywhere. One evening we took a carriage ride around the historic district and learned all sorts of interesting stories about some of homes and the people who built them. The town has a genteel, peaceful spirit that is very soothing.

Our little bed and breakfast had a wonderful front porch where we ate our delicious breakfast and enjoyed our afternoon tea. The porch was my favorite place to be. I sat and rocked and read my book, but found the parade of passersby to be distracting. There were so many interesting people to watch, so many stories to make up about each of them.

7 comments:

julie said...

Oh, I love Cape May. One of the only times that we have taken off just the two of us was to Cape May. It was during a difficult patch in our marriage and it wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been but Cape May is beautiful. What was the name of your bed breakfast? It looks so much like the one that we stayed in. The owner had once been the mayor of Cape May.

Mom said...

Julie, I knew you would love it - so many many cute doors & widows! We stayed at Leith Hall on Ocean Ave just 2 houses from the beach. It was full of antiques and interesting things.

julie said...

Our house was also 2 houses from the beach and closer to the lighthouse end of Cape May. I think that our house was the Christmas House and everything was green, red and white.

Joan said...

I'm so happy to hear you had such a wonderful time. Your description of Cape May makes it sound like the perfect vacation getaway and I will definitely add it to my "Places I'd Like to Visit Someday" list.

Cazzie!!! said...

Just brilliant, happy happy times!!

AM Kingsfield said...

froofery!
I love it!

rosemary said...

What wonderful pix...I showed Steve your husband and he is jealous of his beard. sounds like you had a wonderful time.