Monday, August 06, 2007

Language

All professions have a language of their own. Recently my friend John the truck diver had a fun post about trucker lingo. Mark the Webmaster demonstrated some computer lingo on his blog. I was a nurse for many years and speak fluent medical language. Our foster son was a skateboarder and I could understand skate. My first language though is mother tongue. I am a mom. I say the things mothers say. I once heard a song at a concert of the Four Bitchin’ Babes that demonstrates my language well. I know you all understand mother tongue. We’ve heard it all our life.

Mother Tongue

By Camille West

You barely touched the broccoli on your dinner plate
Well, alright just one bite and you can stay up late
Don't tease the baby; you'll make him cry
Because I'm the mother, that's why

chorus
Don't fight
I've got eyes in the back of my head.
These are things my mother's mother's
mother's mother said
I learned the language when I was very young
Lately I've been talking in
the mother tongue

Take off your muddy shoes Put the cat down
Here's a tissue; blow your nose Put the cat down
What did you say? Where'd you learn that?
Come back here when I'm talking
Let go of that cat.

chorus

Behave at your Grandma's
Be good when I leave
Wipe your nose again-- no, not your sleeve
What's on your cheek? Let me get it
Don't have a fit
It's just a little mommy spit

5 comments:

Joan said...

I may not be a mom but I sure as heck recognize Mom Speak when I read (or hear) it! :~)

John said...

Love it. Sounds like my mom and my wife.

Tracy said...

Hey! I speak that too!

Sling said...

Wipes his shoes and hangs his coat,
drinks his milk,and clears his throat,
spreads his homework on the table,
does the best that he is able,
cleans his room,puts toys away,
NOW can I go out and play??

Linda said...

ryc: I really hope I can be like you when I grow up.....you know just the right thing to say. Must be that mom talk!