Sunday, January 02, 2011

Anticipation

For the past five months about all I have done is sit in a chair and let my foot heal. My sweet husband has done the shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry. In addition to that he has been a patient and loving nurse to me. I have gotten pretty good at being pampered while doing nothing. As the pain leaves and I begin to walk I am full of anticipation about beginning to do things again. Things that were just chores are things I really am looking forward to doing again.

I want to go grocery shopping. I want to see what is on sale and what looks good each week. I want to browse through the produce department and pick out fresh fruits and vegetables. I want to look at the meat and pick it out myself. I want to run into friends and neighbors and stop and chat for a few minutes. I should be able to do this in just a few more weeks. In the future I promise to appreciate the joy of grocery shopping.

I want to cook dinner and clean up my kitchen.

I want to go to the pool. I want to walk into the locker room and laugh with my friends as we change into our swim suits. I want to move through the water and feel my muscles getting stronger again. I want to soak in the hot tub and relax after a good swim.

I want to do the laundry.

When warm weather comes this spring I want to work in my yard. I want to plant flowers and pull weeds. I want to climb on a step ladder and trim the bushes. I promise not to complain about having to weed the garden.

I want to walk. I want to take long walks without needing to stop because of the pain. I want to walk the familiar streets of my neighborhood and strange, faraway streets where I have never walked before. I want to walk on the beach with the surf pounding in my ears. I want to walk through the woods and listen to the birds. I want to walk through the airport to the furthermost gate and fly again on a jet plane to some wonderful destination.

Recovery has been a long time coming, but it is is getting nearer each day. With each day's improvement I grow more excited about the things I can do.

I can hardly wait for all the wonderful things I will be able do in2011.

2 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

This was a beautiful blog post. Just look at all that us "walkers" take for granted on an everyday basis! Even doing the laundry can be a joy, if we really live in the moment and appreciate how our muscles can move.

Iwanski can't wait to get up and moving like this, too...but it will take some time for him...I told him that you'd been mostly sitting for 5 months, and he was like, "Wow!" So I hope he is encouraged by your experience, that he too will one day walk long distances again, go grocery shopping, and yes--do laundry. (I'm looking forward to that day, too! *hee hee*)

Thanks for sharing these thoughts...I loved reading it! :)

Jennie said...

Thank you mom, you just helped me realize it's good to be able to do laundry and shop and cook. Clean the kitchen - eh, not so much. ;) I am looking forward to hearing about your exciting 2011!