Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Teetotaler's Fruitcake

My parent's were teetotalers, as were all their friends. When I was a child I never saw anyone drink anything alcoholic, no beer, no wine, no alcohol. Occasionally I heard a sermon about the sin of drunkenness and I grew up just assuming that good people never drank alcohol. I tell you this so you will understand the following story.

Every Christmas my mother made a fruitcake. The fruitcake making was one of the rituals of preparing for Christmas. One year one of my mom's fellow teachers told her how much better the cake would be if she soaked a cheesecloth in peach brandy and then wrapped it around the cake. The brandy would impart a peach flavor and keep the cake moister. Mom wanted to try this idea, but she had a problem. Dad was an elder in our church. The church did not approve of alcohol . She did not want any of the congregation to see her going into the liquor store, so she drove to a neighboring town to make her purchase. She parked at the store and looked around, then hurried inside to make her purchase. As she left with her little brown bag of brandy she literally bumped into the wife of the other elder in our little church who had also driven to the neighboring town to make a similar purchase. They were both embarrassed and vowed to keep their secret.

I was a young teen that day when mom came in with her arms full of groceries. In an unusual gesture of helpfulness I hopped up and helped her unload groceries. The first thing I pulled out of the grocery bag was her little brown bag with the peach brandy inside. I shrieked with amazement. “Mom, is this really brandy? Did you really buy alcohol?” My poor mom. She was so embarrassed as she explained the whole story to me.

The fruitcake was exceptionally good that year. It was so moist with a hint of peach flavor. Everyone asked for a second serving that year.

5 comments:

poet said...

oh dear. your poor Mom. the peach reminds me of a punch a friend of mine made one time a long long time ago. there were peaches, oranges, and cherries in it, we scooped out a dish of fruit cocktail, and wow. all manner of booze in that punch. i guess that is why it is called "punch". it took me a long while to induldge in fruit cocktail ever again. (and never one with booze).

have a great and wonderful day

Unknown said...

What a great story.

An old friend of mine always said "Be known as a drinker and then you can drink". He came from a family of teetotalers but wasn't one himself so it always posed a problem. With that mantra, it was solved.

Random Thinker said...

You poor Mom, busted twice for making her first ever alcohol purchase.

Miss Healthypants said...

*hee hee* I love this story. :)

Wow, now I'm thinking that you must have been so appalled, reading my recent blog posting about my drunken evening with friends! *grin* But believe me, that is NOT a regular event in my life...that's why I felt it was blogworthy. :)

As for my childhood, my family has always been pretty easy-going about alcohol. It's common to see all of my family members that are "of age" imbibing at a family wedding or on a holiday. It's just the way we are.

Middle Child said...

what a dedicated mum - risking censure and shame all for the fruitcake