Monday, August 09, 2010

Surgery

The house is clean. The laundry is done. The shopping is done. The bills are paid.I think everything is as ready as I can make it.

Tomorrow I am having a talo-navicular fusion, naviculo-cuneiform fusion, first and second tarsal-metatarsal fusion and a medium infusion of bone grafted from my tibia. All that means I am having reconstructive surgery on my left foot. Walking has become increasingly more painful over the past few years. Our last trip convinced me that it was time to do something about the pain. The surgeon assures me that he can fix my problem. I will be on crutches for the next three months, then after some physical therapy I will be better than ever. I expect to be able to run a four minute mile with my new bionic foot, or least happily walk a mile and be pain free.

I am actually pretty nervous about this surgery. I am told that is the appropriate emotion. I will gladly receive all your prayers, happy thoughts and positive energy for a quick and complete recovery. A few prayers for my sweet husband who will be my nurse would also be in order. I do not have a history a being a very good patient.

I'll be back as soon as I am able.

15 comments:

Anne said...

In the words of Father Tim: "Consider it done."

julie said...

Sue, I wish I was there to help you but I also have a history of hitting whatever part you just had surgery on...maybe you are glad I am not there. I love you and I know that Dennis will take good care of you. It has been so fun to see John two Sundays in a row. He looks great!

Jennie said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you certainly! I just saw my knee surgeon today when he was taking care of my son and told him he did a good job, my knee has been wonderful. They can do some amazing things, these surgeons. Here's to being "better than ever!" Come back soon.

Random Thinker said...

Mom - you'll be in my thoughts for sure. A little bit of worry and inconvenience now for pain free locomotion for the long haul... no brainer.

Tom and Nancy said...

We will certainly keep your surgery and recovery in our prayers.
Nancy

Miss Healthypants said...

I'll be saying lots of prayers for you!! I am battling minor foot pain (plantar fasciitis) and hope that in a few months, we can both run a mile with no pain (other than the normal pain associated with not having run in several months). :)

just me said...

I'll be thinking of you - and will ask DH to add you to our prayer for health for the next few weeks (we are very ecumenical in that regard).

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery -

AM Kingsfield said...

Does the insurance cover the cool bionic sound effect that Lindsay Wagner had? I hope so!

Love to you & Dad.

Linda said...

Sent a big ole ball of Reiki yesterday for the surgery and the speedy recovery. Had a special talk with God to make this as painless as possible :) Love you-- let me know if I can help <3

Cazzie!!! said...

I so wish I was going to be your nurse. Be well, and make sure you take all the meds they offer you for pain relief and of course bowels to function too! Take note of what the physio says and you will be running on that foot in no time... huggs and special wishes from Down Under ... :)

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband, and the talented doctors for a successful surgery and a pain free recovery and rehab.

Sling said...

Sending my prayers your way Mom!
Hope you a wearing out some tennis shoes soon! :)

Tamara said...

Sending you a prayer for a speedy recovery! If I knew how type out the make the bionic woman special effect sound, I would type it, but since I don't you'll just have to imagine. : )

Middle Child said...

You are in my thoughts and hope that all goes well - he will survive...might be good for him : )

rosemary said...

Praying for you Sue....and your nurse hubby. A new foot will be wonderful....I can tell you that your nurse will do a great job. These men can really step up when they need to. i never knew a good nurse/patient.