Monday, August 23, 2010

Precisely Where it Should Be


The nurse finished cutting away the many layers of bloody dressings and pulled it all away from my foot when the surgeon walked into the room. I looked down at my bruised, swollen foot, crisscrossed with sutures and said that my foot was ugly. The doctor smiled and said that my foot looked great. He put the x-rays on the screen. It looked to me like someone had dumped an erector set into my foot, there were screws and plates everywhere. The doctor said everything was precisely where it should be. He was extremely happy with the way everything looked. I was extremely relieved to hear all was okay.

I am now wearing a much smaller dressing and a big orthopedic boot. In a week I will be allowed to remove the boot and take a shower. No weight-bearing until he reevaluates me in five weeks. I am still taking my good drugs for pain, but I can go almost six hours between doses. Mobility is difficult and frustrating. But just knowing that everything is precisely where it should be gives me courage and hope for the rest of my recovery.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Glad your pain is getting better and glad the erector set looks like it should.

Praying for quick healing and less and less pain everyday.

Anne said...

You had to out-do your daughter when it came to foot xrays, didn't you?

I'm glad you're on the mend!

just me said...

great news!

Barb said...

Now don't try and play with the erector pieces like you did when you were a little girl! LOL
Hope you get better soon so you can start traveling again and giving us more of your fabulous pics!

rosemary said...

That's a lot of hardware, Sue. Will you sound off when you go through the airport screening?

Middle Child said...

But just imagine how good it will feel when all is well again...pain is the great leveller - rich or poor, young or old...pain is pain for us all the same

Cazzie!!! said...

I have never seen a better xray than that one! Great job they did I must say... that is from my Ortho nursing point of view... as a patient..it sounds like you are doing your very best there at home.. well done to you! Keep up that great regime, the weeks will go by fast for you I hope.
Huggs Cazzie

AM Kingsfield said...

You definitely win the Franken-foot contest!