Sunday, November 29, 2009

Christmas Tree

1949
Sue: “Mommy, it's the prettiest Christmas tree we ever had!”
Mom: “Yes honey, it is.”

1959
Mom: “ It's the prettiest Christmas tree we ever had!”
Sue: “Oh Mom, you always say that.”

1969
My children: “Mommy, it's the prettiest Christmas tree we ever had!”
Sue: “Yes, it is.”

1979
Sue: “Children, it's the prettiest Christmas tree we ever had!”
My children: “Oh Mom, you always say that.”

1989
My grandchildren: “Gramma, it's the prettiest tree we've ever had!”
Sue: “Yes, it is.”

1999
Sue: “Grandchildren, it's the prettiest tree we've ever had!”
My grandchildren: “Oh Gramma, you always say that.”

2009
Sue: Whispering heavenward, “Mom, it's the prettiest tree we've ever had!”
My mom: Smiling from heaven, “Yes honey, it always is.”

7 comments:

Random Thinker said...

You've inspired me... now I 'm going to go home tonight and decorate the tree.

AM Kingsfield said...

I've seen it. It really is pretty.

Anne said...

Didn't expect this would be a tissue post.

rosemary said...

Oh my goodness sniff, snork. .....My mom surely groans when she sees my tree. She was a perfectionist and had to have every piece of tinsel put on one at a time. No tinsel for me now...cats and all...but I love all blue lights same as my mom.

Sling said...

This was absolutely beautiful..sniff.

Miss Healthypants said...

I loved this. :) Iwanski and I have to get our tree up soon.

Cazzie!!! said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! Thankyou for that poem.