Sunday, November 22, 2009

Full Week End

I spent most of Friday in the church kitchen. There was a memorial service that day for a much loved lady. She was remembered with laughter, tears, good stories and beautiful music. Her ashes were spread in the memorial garden to feed the beautiful flowers and plants growing there. Her friends then gathered to remember, to share, and to eat. These moments seem like such sacred times in life. I feel blessed to be able to help in these moments. I am served far more than I serve.

Friday evening was stargazing night. We gathered with friends on a small, quiet beach on the Chesapeake Bay to enjoy the night sky and the company of good friends. My astronomer brought his telescope. Through it's lens we could see mountains and craters on the crescent moon. It looked like an exquisitely carved ivory tusk. He readjusted the viewing field and there was Jupiter with three planets circling around it. It was an impressive sight. Later we lay on the beach snuggled into warm blankets and admired God's beautiful sky. We saw the great square of Pegasus, and watched as Orin rose above the horizon. We could see the faint spot that is the galaxy of Andromeda. Pondering the immensity of the universe tends to make the world seem to a more manageable size. I saw a great, beautiful shooting star. The cold finally became too much and we had to come home, but it was a lovely evening.

Bright and early Saturday morning I joined more than forty volunteers to help run an H1N1 flu clinic. The public health department and our church joined forces to vaccinate over two-hundred people. It was so well organized that there were no major problems. People began lining up about an hour before we opened and waited patiently for their turn. The weather was sunny and warm and people chatted and visited with neighbors as they waited. I can't say that all the children were thrilled to be getting a shot, but their parents were quite happy and thankful.

Today is Sunday. I do love being a part of a church family and being able to worship God together with people I love. This morning the bell choir played. Playing the bells is one of my favorite things. We shared a big pre Thanksgiving dinner after church. This time I stayed out of the kitchen and just enjoyed the food and the fellowship. I took a nap this afternoon.

Next week will be full of good things.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Do you know, the first time I ever really experienced God on a personal level, apart from all the churching knowledge or what have you, is when I found the Big Dipper by myself for the first time. I was in the 3rd grade but I still remember the moment as if it were yesterday. That's what your star-gazing put me in mind of.

Middle Child said...

Good to catch up on all your posts and hear what a good time you had in Egypt and the books you read...is it nice to be home? Sounds so.

Sling said...

Looking up into the night sky through the telescope,you can see that there is an order to the way things work.
I'm pretty sure God does not play dice with the universe.

just me said...

One of the things that I am grateful for is the presence of people like you who give so freely of themselves.

We have been through a particularly rough patch the last few weeks, with several deaths in our congregation (including one as a result of a car accident). This takes its toll on both DH and the rest of our family. But it's good to know that others can help take up the slack.

I am also grateful for some time off this week - praying for some peace and quiet.

Miss Healthypants said...

I love your great attitude...and I love star-gazing, too. :)

Random Thinker said...

I gave up church a number of years ago but your giving spirit makes me miss contact with people who truly do live by golden rule.