Tuesday, November 24, 2009

He Is Really Doing It

In early September my husband came home and said something I never expected him to say. I am still stunned by the decision he made that day. He looked at me and said, “It just isn't much fun any more. I think it is time to retire.” My astronomer has always loved his job. He got up each day looking forward to going to work. He loved figuring out the problems of the universe. He looked into the far reaches of the heavens and could see what he called the light left over from creation. Few men found such joy in their chosen career. He has been blessed. He says it is now time to do something else. He is so interested in so many things that he could not do because of his NASA obligations. He wants to have time to work on some of those things. Among other things he wants to write a book about four dimensional geometry (I have no idea what that is). Of course I have a long list of honey-dos to keep him busy and we will probably do some more traveling. He will not be bored.

Yesterday he was given a retirement party by his friends in the lab where he has worked for so many years. I had never seen this place where he spent so much of his life. It is not easy to get onto the NASA campus with all the security they have now. For this occasion some of our children, grandchildren and I went through security and joined the festivities in his lab. This place which all his co-workers refer to as Dennis's Lab is just a big room full of computers and people. It is a place where he is greatly honored and loved. I was told that he is the heart and soul of the lab. When he leaves the sparkle will will be gone. Everyone was given a bolo tie and a fake beard so we could pose for a picture with this bearded, bolo tie wearing, beloved astronomer.The party was just right.

Tomorrow will be his last work day. Monday he will go collect signatures from a large assortment of people as part of the official sign-out procedure. He will turn in his badge. Then he will come home.

The adventure of retirement lies before him. We are excited about what the days will bring.

7 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

As soon as I figure out what's going on with my computer, I'll send you the pictures!

Barb said...

Congratulations on your hubby's retirement. He is truly blessed having a job that he's enjoyed all these years. Hope he gets to relax now and do what he wants. Again. Congratulations!

PS. Don't give him too many "Honey Do's" at once. He might be inclined to go back to the lab! LOL

Random Thinker said...

How awesome that he loved his job so much. Sounds like you two will be anything but bored.

Sling said...

Congratulations Dennis!
What an awesome career he's had.
My wish is for many more years for you to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

rosemary said...

Dennis was blessed to have a job he loved so much. You will be either blessed to have him home or it will be your bain...I'm guessing the blessings will flow. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Sue.

John said...

I know you already know this, but that's a pretty good man you got there.

Miss Healthypants said...

Congrats to Dennis! First, a career that he loves--and now, to the adventure of retirement ahead! :) And then to you have you in his life--what a lucky man he is! *smiles*