Friday, November 20, 2009

Good Reads

Two long airplane rides and some peaceful afternoons floating down the Nile gave me time for a lot of reading. I enjoyed several good books while we were on our vacation.

The first was Dan Brown's new novel, “Lost Symbol.” If you enjoyed “The Da Vinci Code” and “Angels and Demons,” then you will enjoy this thriller too. Brown takes an impossibility and turns it into a scary reality with lots of unexpected twists that make the book hard to put down. The fact that it is set in Washington DC with it's familiar locations made the story made it seem even more real. It is a good read.

“Sea Glass” by Anita Shreve was a much quieter story. Shreve is so good at making her characters feel real that I felt like I was part of this story about people in a small mill town in New England. The background of this story is the fall of the stock market in 1929 and the Great Depression that followed. This story brought tears to my eyes several times as people struggled through great hardship and pain. Life can be very hard. This was a good read of a different sort.

Mitch Albom has a new little book out called, “Have a Little Faith.” It is a beautiful written story of two very different men from two very different communities. One story is about Reb, a devout rabbi born into a long history of faith. The other is Henry, an inner-city back man who grows up in a crime-filled neighborhood. He becomes a drug-addict and commits all manner of crime. He spends many years in jail. Eventually Henry finds Jesus and becomes a minister to others who are lost at the bottom of society. In this book Albom demonstrates the great comfort in believing in something bigger than yourself. I found it to be very inspirational. I'm glad I read it.

What have you been reading? Do you have any recommendations for a good read?

7 comments:

Barb said...

Have you read "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen? I loved the book. Also I read "The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger and "Sunshine and Shadow" by Earlene Fowler. I want to read "The Neighbor" by Lisa Gardner next. I read all those while recovering from surgery in October. Don't think I have read so much at one time. Was fun though to be lazy and just read read read.

rosemary said...

i just finished...This is where I leave you...sad, funny, hilarious, tear producing. I still can't get The Art of Racing in the Rain out of my brain....wonderful story.

Cazzie!!! said...

Awesome books there, I love the Dan Brown one especially.
I have been re reading my Bryce Courtenay books. And my friend lent me some crime novels, they were not so bad.

Unknown said...

I just finished "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" if you can believe it.
Usually I get some heavy reading in over the summer but my spare time was claimed with gardening. Ive got a stack waiting, among them an oldie, "The Living Planet" by David Attenborough and "Plainsong" by Kent Haruf. I managed to hit the library book sale for those along with a stack of 2009 Smithsonian magazines.
I would like to read Dan Brown but the waiting list is a mile long.

Unknown said...

I'm reading "Stealing Buddha's Dinner" a memoir of a vietnamese immigrant in the 70's in Grand Rapids and her longing to fit in. It has been good, but not always happy.

AM Kingsfield said...

oops, that was me. Lexie's reading a book called "Thirteen."

Mom said...

So many good books that I have not yet read!