Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Funeral Music

I have attended far too many funerals recently. These friends were my contemporaries, people who have lived full and happy lives, and are now suddenly just gone. They leave a hole in my world.

All these good-byes have made me think about the inevitability of my own death and wonder about what will be said and done when my time comes. Music is always an important part of a memorial service. I have always told my family I want them to play “When the Saints Go Marching In,” preferably with a brass band. I want them to remember this is a celebration of heaven and a time of joy. I intend to be marching along with all the saints in a happy parade. My favorite hymn has always been”When Peace Like A River.” Play that hymn and remember me. And here's one more song. It has some parting advice from me to all those I leave behind. I do like this song.

3 comments:

Sling said...

I love that song!
I'm not especially into having a funeral for myself,but I do plan on riding to Heaven on Amazing Grace,performed on the bagpipes.

Mom said...

Bagpipes do make that song a haunting and beautiful.

Middle Child said...

I am with Sling...its the bagpipes for me...Don had bagpipes and everyone was so still...it was almost like a funeral you could imagine taking place 800 years ago.

Each to his/her own tho.